Ghee Ponkal (Ney Pongal)
Ingredients for Ghee Ponkal (Ney Pongal):
1. Raw rice – 400 gm
2. Green gram dal fried – 150 gm
3. Cashews – 20
4. Ginger – 1 piece
5. Salt – As needed
6. Ghee – 150 gm
7. Pepper – 1.5 tsp
8. Cumin seeds – 1 tsp
How to prepare Ghee Ponkal (Ney Pongal)?
1. Boil water and add rice, crushed ginger and dal.
2. Cook it till it’s done. Never overcook it.
3. Add ghee and a little ghee, and take it off from flame.
4. Fry cumin and pepper seeds in ghee and slightly grind it.
5. Split cashews into two and add to Pongal, along with remaining ghee.
Note: You can serve Neypongal with sambar, coconut chutney and pappadam. You can also add a little scrapped coconut. You can also add pepper as whole.
Courtesy: Vanitha Magazine May 1-14, 2006
Also read a few more rice recipes. Click on the images in the gallery to read.