Abhishek Bachchan – the son of gifted actors of Bollywood, Amitabh Bachchan and Jaya Bhaduri made his debut in the year 2000. Refugee marked his Bollywood debut in the new millennium and two more movies were released the same year. Despite staying in Bollywood for more than 15 years and doing countless films, he received success for only a few movies, mostly multi-star cast or two heroes. As a solo hero, Guru remains the most successful movie of his career. He also received critical acclamation for his acting. His lead role in Khelein Hum Jee Jaan Sey, Delhi-6 and supporting role in Yuva were also well-appreciated. But these movies were not hits at box office.
He is an integral part of Dhoom Series, the most successful film series of his career, and he plays the supporting role of cop. As a solo hero, Bluff Master also performed average at box office. He played lead role aside John Abraham in Dostana, a blockbuster. Kabhi Alvida Na Kehna, Bunty Aur Babli, Paa and Sarkar are other major hits of his career, where he shared screen space with his father. Bol Bachchan and the most recent Housefull 3 are other hits of his career, where he played parallel lead.
As an actor, Abhishek is yet to prove successful. Though he has acted in numerous Bollywood films, he mostly tasted success where he became a part of ensemble star cast or played parallel lead. Yet in the past 16 years he has been featured in countless hit songs. Many of his songs turned to be chartbuster hits, while a few got noticed for melodious tunes. His soft romantic hit songs are mostly sung by Sonu Nigam and fast dance numbers by Shaan, and both versions featuring Abhishek got noticed. He has also given his voice for a few Bollywood songs and got noticed as well.
When I made a list of 20 of his most popular songs, I was surprised to see some of the top hits in the recent times though the movies proved to be Bollywood disasters. I had to exclude some of the good songs too as I tried to feature at least a single song from the movies he acted till now. Yet I couldn’t include all his musical hit films in the list, and here goes my list. I gave equal preference to his chartbuster hits and melodious songs, and please don’t blame me if I missed your favourite.
1. Title Track of Tera Jadu Chal Gaya – Among all musical albums featuring Abhishek Bachchan, Tera Jadu Chal Gaya definitely remains my top favourite. Tera Jadu Chal Gaya was only his second release, and all the songs composed by Ismail Darbar are extremely melodious. This title track was sung by Sonu Nigam and Chithra. The songs of Tera Jadu Chal Gaya especially the title track played a significant role in establishing Sonu as the leading male voice of Bollywood. All lyrics were written by Sameer. After the songs got noticed, Sonu Nigam sang numerous chartbuster romantic tracks for Abhishek Bachchan.
2. Jhoota Hi Sahi of Tera Jadu Chal Gaya – As told above the movie featuring Junior Bachchan and Keerti Reddy featured some wonderful tracks. Similar to his debut film – Refugee, Sonu Nigam’s voice was used to record all romantic tracks featuring Abhishek Bachchan, while voices of Babul Supriyo and Vinod Rathod used to record peppy numbers. This duet was sung by Sonu Nigam and Alka Yagnik. I would also like to mention my other favourite songs of the movie – Qayamat Ho Qayamat Ho and Aai Chand Teri Chandni, the duets sung by Sonu Nigam aside Kavita Krishnamurthy and Alka Yagnik respectively. Also read: Top 20 songs of Sonu Nigam
3. Shikdoom of Dhoom – Discussion of Abhishek Bachchan is not possible without giving mention to Dhoom and the sizzling track, Shikdoom. The song featured Rimi Sen in a sexy avatar as Abhishek’s wife. Abhishek was also seen in the promotional title track featuring Tata Young.
4. Desi Girl of Dostana – Dostana gave a major breakthrough to two struggling actors of Bollywood, Abhishek Bachchan and John Abraham and the comedy film was a smash hit at box office. It was first one of this kind on the theme of gays in Bollywood. This dancing number also featured gorgeous Priyanka Chopra. The extreme popular songs were composed by Vishal-Shekhar.
5. Maa Ka Ladla of Dostana – As told above, all the songs were huge chartbusters. This particular comedy song also featured Kiran Kher, and definitely deserves mention in the list. Though the movie gave preference to fast and dance numbers, it included two extremely popular two soft songs – Khabar Nahi and Kuch Kam featuring Junior B. The item song featuring Shilpa Shetty – Shut Up & Bounce also belongs to the film.
6. Kabhi Neem Neem of Yuva – His sizzling chemistry with Rani Mukherji was well-noticed for this movie. In the mid-2000s, he appeared in a series of movies aside Rani – Yuva, Bas Itna Sa Khwab Hai, Kabhi Alvida Na Kehna, Daaga Chunari Mein Daag and Bunti Aur Babli. His pairing with Rani has always been appreciated, and there were rumours that they dated during this period.
7. Bol Na Halke Halke of Jhoom Barabar Jhoom – He shared screen space with his father for this flop film. His association with Big B has mostly given hits, and this movie is an exception. This wonderful duet was sung by Rahet Fateh Ali Khan and Mahalakshmi Iyer, and remains one of the top romantic tracks featuring Abhishek Bachchan. Ticket to Hollywood and Jhoom Barabar Jhoom are other top songs of the movie featuring Junior B.
8. Tumhe Aaj Meine Jo Dekha of Kuch Na Kaho – The movie was a flop at box office. But music composed by Shankar-Ehsaan-Loy became extremely popular. Aishwarya Rai played his female lead, and Title track and Ache Lagte Ho are other top songs of the movie. Shankar Mahadevan and Sujata Bhattacharya sang the popular dance number, Tumhe Aaj Meine Jo Dekha. Voices of Shaan and Udit Narayan were also tried for the film.
9. Mere Humsafar of Refugee – The movie marked the acting debut of Abhishek Bachchan and Kareena Kapoor. Though the movie was a box office failure, songs got noticed and Anu Malik won National award for best music for the film. All the songs were soft and melodious, and voices of Sonu Nigam and Alka Yagnik were used to record the romantic songs of the movie. The romantic track – Mere Humsafar was the top song of the album. Panchi, Aisa Lagta Hai and Taal Se Jab too were equally popular. Its powerful lyrics were penned by Javed Akhtar who earned National award for penning the lyrics of ‘Panchi Nadiya’. Also read: Top dance tracks featuring Kareena.
10. Chori Chori of Om Jai Jagadish – This duet sung by Sonu Nigam and Alka remains my personal favourite too. Music was composed by Anu Malik and the lyrics were written by Sameer. Kunal Ganjawala provided back vocals for the song. The song featured Tara Sharma aside Abhishek.
11. Kasam Ki Kasam of Mein Prem Ki Diwani Hoon – It’s one of wonderful songs sung by Shaan for Abhishek. After Sonu Nigam, Shaan remains the most used voice for Abhishek, and he recorded several romantic and item songs as well. Music was composed by Anu Malik, and Chithra is the female voice. The song featured Kareena Kapoor, Abhishek and Hrithik Roshan. Also read: Top 20 Hindi songs of Chithra
. Bani Bani Prem Diwani Bani is yet another extremely popular song of the movie, also featuring Abhishek.
12. Where’s The Party Tonight of Kabhi Alvida Na Kehna – All the songs composed by Shankar-Ehsaan-Loy became huge chartbusters. This dance number was extremely popular. The movie also included Rock ‘N’ Roll Soniye featuring Abhishek Bachchan.
13. Chup Chup Ke of Bunti Aur Babli – Bunti Aur Babli was the top album of the year. This romantic track featuring Rani Mukerji and Abhishek Bachchan was indeed popular. The album was composed by Shankar-Ehsaan-Loy and this particular song was sung by Sonu Nigam and Mahalakshmi Iyer. Also read: Top 10 songs of Mahalakshmi Iyer
14. Kajra Re of Bunti Aur Babli – One of the top item songs ever featured in a Bollywood film, Aishwarya appeared as a cameo role aside Amitabh and Abhishek. This song was shot two years before the marriage of Ash and Abhi. Kajra Re was the top song of year 2005. Song was sung by Alisha Chinai, Shankar Mahadevan and Javed Ali, and Alisha received Filmfare award for this song. Shankar-Ehsaan-Loy too were awarded Filmfare award for best music. The movie also included the dance number – Nach Baliye.
15. Masakali of Delhi-6 – The movie is known for some of the finest compositions of A. R. Rahman, and I would like to add Masakali song to my list. A. R. Rahman received Filmfare award for best music for the album and Mohit Chauhan received Filmfare award for best playback singer for Masakali song.
16. One Love (Kya Maine Socha) of Rakht – When this song featuring Abhishek Bachchan got released, he was going through the bad phase of his career, and for the same reason he was even teased as ‘Item Boy of Bollywood’. The song is a Hindi version of chartbuster song from the English album ‘One Love’ of Blue. It’s one of the finest songs sung by Shaan for Abhishek Bachchan.
17. Right Here Right Now of Bluff Master – Abhishek rendered his voice for this chartbuster song aside Sunidhi Chauhan. The movie remains one of the rarest solo hits of Abhishek. Music was composed by Vishal-Shekhar.
18. Dus Bahane Karke Legaye Dil of Dus – Dus was a commercial hit and songs also got noticed. Music fans cannot easily forget this particular chartbuster featuring Abhishek. The song was composed by Vishal-Shekhar and sung by KK and Shaan.
19. Tere Bina of Guru – Rahman’s Guru was one of the top albums of the year and earned him Filmfare award as well. This particular track was sung by Rahman too, and received a Filmfare nomination in best male playback category as well. The movie also featured Mallika Sherawat in a popular item number, Maiyya Maiyya. Also read: Top 11 item songs composed by Rahman.
20. Tere Aane Se Aaye of Run – I would like to conclude my list with Run. Though the Hindi remake of Tamil super hit film of Madhavan with the same title was a flop, its music by Himesh Reshammiya got well appreciated. All the songs were equally popular and it’s not easy to choose one particular song. Dil Mein Jo Baat, Nahi Hona Nahi Hona, Chain Ho Chain Ho and Sarki Chunariya Re Zara Zara are the popular duets of the movie. This particular duet was sung by Kumar Sanu and Alka Yagnik, and lyrics penned by Sameer.
Ek Ladki Mujhe Chahti Hai Magar from Shararat is a soft track sung by Sonu Nigam and Alka Yagnik. Though I included songs from his popular films, I couldn’t add songs to Khelein Hum Jee Jaan Sey, Paa, Dum Maro Dum, All Is Well, Bol Bachchan, Bas Itna Sa Khwab Hai, Dhai Akshar Prem Ke, Mumbai Se Aaya Mere Dist, Zameen and the most recent Houseful-3 to the list of his best 20 songs.