Top 20 Songs of Sonu Nigam
Sonu Nigam is one among the most popular and versatile playback singers of Bollywood. His expressive singing style has a huge fan following crowd across the world. He witnessed a struggling period in the early 1990s when the singing world was fully dominated by Kumar Sanu and Udit Narayan.
12. Tu Fiza Hai of Fiza – Year 2000 established Sonu Nigam as the most sought after male voice of Bollywood. The title track of Fiza proved himself to be the new emperor of soft and melody songs of Bollywood. His songs for the movies – Tera Jaadu Chal Gaya, Refugee, Chal Mere Bhai, Dulhan Hum Le Jaayenge, Jungle etc were very popular. His second album, Jaan was also released the same year, followed by Yaad in 2001. Alka Yagnik is the female voice for the song composed by Anu Malik. Gulzar authored the lyrics.
13. Meri Neend Jaane Lagi Hai of Chal Mere Bhai – This lovely dream song pictured Sanjay Dutt and Karishma Kapoor. Released in the year 2000, though the movie was a flop, songs composed by Anand-Milind got appreciated. The movie also marked screen sharing of Sanjay Dutt and Salman Khan after a long time since blockbuster Saajan was released. Sameer, the most sought lyricist of 1990s and early 2000s authored lyrics.
14. Ee Chand Teri Chandini Ki Kasam of Tera Jaadu Chal Gaya – All the songs of Tera Jaadu Chal Gaya were extremely melodious, and Sonu gave extra life to all its romantic songs. This song filmed on Abhishek Bachchan and Keerthi Reddy is extra ordinary. Tere Jaadu Chal Gaya is one among the underrated works of Ismail Darbar, though music reviews were good. Sameer penned its unique lyrics.
15. Khamoshiyaan Gungunane of 1 2 ka 4 – This lovely duet featured Shah Rukh Khan and Juhi Chawla, and one of the rarest duets sung by Sonu Nigam and melody queen Lata Mangeshkar. Though the movie was a huge flop, songs composed by A. R. Rahman were on top charts. Khamoshiyaan is the only song penned by Mehboob for the album, best known for his association with Rahman films. The rest songs were penned by Majrooh Sultanpuri, who passed away before the movie released.
16. Mujhe Raat Din of Sangursh – One of the early songs of Sonu Nigam which established him as ‘Prince of Melody’. But Sonu himself admitted that he sang this song in Rafi style. Quite surprising, for me, its tune looks similar to the popular romantic track sung by Mohd. Rafi for Ek Musafir Ek Haseena – Mujhe Dekhkar Aapka tuned by O. P. Nayyar. The tune has been credited to Jatin-Lalit, and Sameer penned the romantic words.
17. Aisa Lagta hai of Refugee – The movie marked the screen debut of Kareena Kapoor and Abhishek Bachchan. Though the movie was not a huge hit, songs composed by Anu Malik were extremely popular and won National awards too. The movie included top romantic song of the year – Mere Humsafar sung by the same duo, Sonu Nigam and Alka Yagnik. But as it is generally considered as Alka’s song, I am excluding my favourite song from Top 20. For an intro tune, Anu Malik used the tune of title track of his work, Ishq (Na Mein Jaanu – line soon after first Mukda) with traditional musical instruments. Javed Akhtar wrote its lyrics. The movie also included popular duets of Alka and Sonu – Taal Pe Jab and Panchi Nadiya Pawan.
18. Mannat of Dawat-E-Ishq – It’s after a long time music lovers got opportunity to hear an extremely melodious song belonging to this duo. The song featured Aditya Roy Kapoor and Parineeti Chopra. Shreya Ghoshal is the female voice. Kausar Munir penned the lyrics and Sajid-Wajid composed the tune.
19. Sau Dard of Jaan-E-Mann – This melodious sad song was pictured on Salman Khan and sung in Sonu Nigam’s voice. Though the movie was a flop its songs were noticed. Sau Dard was the highlight of the film. Anu Malik is the composer and Gulzar is the lyricist.
20. Soniyo of Raaz: The Mystery Continues – What a romantic and sizzling song it is! Definitely it’s one of the best romantic songs sung by Sonu Nigam. The song featured Kangana Ranaut and Adhyayan Suman, who were in a relationship then. Sonu sung this melodious track with melody queen Shreya Ghoshal. Kumaar penned the lyrics while Raju Singh composed the single after a hiatus.
The list is not ending here. Definitely his silky voice is really mesmerizing and can be heard any number of times. A few more memorable songs of Sonu Nigam which I missed in the above list, when I tried to reduce the list to best 20.
- Shukra Allah of Kurbaan
- Do Pal of Veer Zaara
- Abhi Mujh Mein Kahin of Agneepath
- Tanhayee of Dil Chahta Hai
- Zoobi Zoobi of 3 Idiots
- Chup Chupke of Bunti Aur Babli
- Mere Humsafar and Panchi Nadiya of Refugee
- Mujhko Khuda Ne of Pyar Tune Kya Kiya
- Ishq Bina of Taal
- Pyar Se Pyare of Deewange
- Piya Bole of Parineeta
- Do Pyar Karne Wale of Jungle
- Ishq Hua of Aaja Nachle
- Hum Se Rahoge of Aur Pyar Ho Gaya
- Aasman Kehta Hai Rab Se & Ruki Ruki from Mast
- Mere Haat Mein & Yeh Barish from Fanaah
- Tanhai from Dil Chahta Hai
- Tu Meri Aduri Pyaas from Ghajini (humming only)
But definitely they are worth to be included in top 10 or top 20 – His career best. I may prefer to prepare a list of 50 of his best songs in future. Let me try
End Note: Nowadays Sonu Nigam melodies have almost disappeared from music scene. Now it’s the time of Arjit Singh, Rahet Fateh Ali Khan and many new singers. Yet as a huge fan of Sonu Nigam, I definitely want to hear more Sonu soft melodies than foot tapping numbers. I wish to see Sonu Nigam return in a bang.
Sonu Nigam remains the most romantic male voice since early 2000s. Click on the gallery images to read a few articles on this versatile singer. Here is the page link.