Pacha Sambar (Methi Sambar)
Ingredients for Pacha Sambar (Methi Sambar):
1. Coconut oil – 5 small spoons
2. Methi leaves (fenugreek leaves) – 2 stems
Green chillies – 3
3. Toor dal (Pigeon peas) – 120 gm
Onions – 5 small, chopped
Potato – 1 big, cut into pieces
Turmeric powder – ¼ small spoon
Salt – For taste
4. Mustard – ¼ small spoon
Curry leaves – 1 stem
Red chillies – 1
5. Lemon juice – From 1 lemon
Coriander leaves chopped – 2 small spoons
How to prepare Pacha Sambar (Methi Sambar)?
1. Sauté methi leaves and green chillies in half quantity of oil.
2. Mix together ingredients no: 3 and cook in a pressure cooker.
3. When potatoes are half-cooked, add methi leaves and green chillies.
4. Reduce the flame and cook the contents in low flame.
5. Temper ingredients no: 4 in remaining coconut oil and add to sambar.
6. Finally add coriander leaves and lemon juice.
7. Curry should not be too thick or too thin in consistency.
Courtesy: Vanitha Magazine August 15 – 31, 2014
Note: In the given recipe, 2 stems of methi leaves are used. I doubt if it’s a typo error. You can add a little more methi leaves if you like its taste. I have submitted one recipe of Methi Leaf Sambar dish earlier.
Read a few more leafy vegetable side dishes/curry recipes here. Click on the images in the gallery to read.