Ingredients of Kurukk Kaalan:
- Raw banana cut into small pieces (after removing skin) – 250 gm
- Yam cut into small pieces (after removing skin) – 250 gm
- Curry leaves – 10 gm
- Cumin seeds – ½ tsp
- Mustard – 1 tsp
- Red chillies cut into 2-3 pieces – 3
- Black pepper – 1 tsp
- Turmeric powder – 1 tsp
- Chilli powder – 1 tsp
- Salt – as needed
- Thick curd – 1.5 litre
- Water – 1 litre
- Coconut oil – 50 gm
How to prepare Kurukk Kaalan?
- Cook banana and elephant yam adding turmeric powder, curry leaves and chilli powder in the given amount of water.
- When it’s cooked, add salt and when it boils well, add curd. Mix the contents well.
- Cook again till full water content is absorbed and kaalan becomes dry. Crush pepper seeds and add to it.
- Heat coconut oil in a pan and add mustard seeds and red chilli pieces. When mustard splutters add cumin seeds and curry leaves to it. Then sauté for a moment and add this oil mixture to kurukk kalan.
- Mix it well and serve with boiled rice.
N.B: Kurukk Kalan prepared this way can remain so for days even if not kept in fridge.
Read a few more banana vegetarian side dish recipes here. Click on the images in the gallery to read.
(Visited 294 times, 1 visits today)