Varutherisseri for Kozhikode Sadya
Ingredients for Varutherisseri for Kozhikode Sadya:
1. Elephant yam cut into small pieces after removing skin – 1 cup
Raw banana split into two and chopped (similar to Sharkkara Upperi) – 1 cup
Pepper powder – 1.5 small spoons
Turmeric powder – 1 small spoon
Salt – As required
2. Coconut scrapped – 1/2 cup
Green chillies – 4
Cumin seeds – 1.5 big spoons
3. Ghee – 2 big spoons
4. Coconut scrapped – 1 cup
5. Cumin seeds – ½ small spoon
6. Ghee or oil- For tempering
Mustard – 1 big spoon
Red chillies – 4 cut into pieces
Curry leaves – A handful
How to prepare Varutherisseri for Kozhikode Sadya?
1. Mix together ingredients no: 1, add sufficient water and cook well.
2. Make a fine paste of ingredients no: 2 and add to the curry.
3. Cook it well.
4. Heat ghee and roast 1 cup scrapped coconut.
5. Add cumin seeds to fried coconut, mix well and add to Erisseri. You can also add a little red chilli powder if you needed.
6. Temper ingredients no: 6 and add to Erisseri.
Courtesy: Vanitha Magazine September 1-14, 2016
You can read yet another Erisseri recipe here.
Read a few more banana vegetarian side dish recipes here. Click on the images in the gallery to read.