Puli Inji for Kozhikode Sadya
Puli Inji is an integral part of Malabar sadya. It’s also served in some regions of mid-Kerala. But this dish is substituted with Inji Curry in southern parts of Kerala. While Inji curry is bitter in taste, which includes almost the exact flavour of ginger, it’s a sweet side dish in Malabar regions known as Inji Puli or Puli Inji. I have added one Inji Puli recipe earlier. Click here to read.
Ingredients for Puli Inji for Kozhikode Sadya:
1. Tamarind (a bit old) – ½ cup
Water – 3 cups
2. Salt – As required
Turmeric powder – 1 small spoon
Chilli powder – 2 small spoons
3. Jaggery – 5 pieces powdered (5 Achu)
Ginger finely chopped – 1.5 big spoons
Green chillies finely chopped – 1.5 big spoons
4. Coconut oil – 1 big spoon
5. Mustard – 1 small spoon
Red chillies – 2
Curry leaves – 2 stalks
6. Fenugreek fried and powdered – ½ small spoon
How to prepare Puli Inji for Kozhikode Sadya?
1. Soak tamarind in water and keep it aside for some time.
2. Later add 3 cups of water and prepare tamarind juice.
3. Transfer the juice to an urli, add ingredients no: 2 and boil.
4. When water content reduces to half, add ingredients no: 3 and stir well using a spatula.
5. Boil it continuously till the contents thicken and water content almost absorbs.
6. When it turns paste like, take your Puli Inji from flame.
7. Temper ingredients no: 5 in hot oil and add to curry.
8. Stir well and wait for the curry to cool.
9. Now add fenugreek powder and mix well before you serve.
Courtesy: Vanitha Magazine September 1-14, 2016