Uluva Cheera Ila Usili (Methi Leaf Usili)
Usili is a south Indian dish, which unique blend of daal with vegetables. Ingredients are steam cooked to get unique taste in Usili. Here is the recipe of Toor daal-Methi leaf usli.
Ingredients for Uluva Cheera Ila Usili (Methi Leaf Usili):
1. Toor daal (Sambar Paripp) – ½ cup
Gram daal (Kadala Paripp) -1/2 cup
2. Red chillies – 3
Asafoetida –As required
Salt – As required
Turmeric powder – As required
3. Green peas – 3/4 cup
Methi leaves cleaned and chopped – 1 cup, sauted and cooked
4. Coconut oil – For frying
5. Mustard – ½ small spoon
6. Curry leaves – 1 stalk
How to prepare Uluva Cheera Ila Usili (Methi Leaf Usili)?
1. Wash both the daals and soak them.
2. Later drain of water and blend well in a mixer adding ingredients no: 2. Never make a powder.
3. Heat a little oil, and sauté ingredients no: 3 and the blended daal mixture.
4. Now make small balls out of this mixture and cook in steam.
5. When the vadas cool off, smash well using hands.
6. Heat oil and sputter mustard seeds.
7. Add the cooked daal mixture along with curry leaves.
8. Mix well and use. Your usili should be dry.
Courtesy: Vanitha Magazine July 15-31, 2016
Also read a few more leafy vegetable dishes. Here is the page link. Click on the images in the gallery to read.