Nadan Tharavu Curry (Countryside Duck Curry in Kerala Style)
Ingredients for Nadan Tharavu Curry (Countryside Duck Curry in Kerala Style):
1. Duck – 2 kg
2. Coconut oil – As needed
3. Mustard – ½ small spoon
4. Cloves – 3
Cardamom – 5, crushed
Fennel seeds – 1 big spoon, crushed
5. Ginger – 1 big piece, crushed
Garlic – 25 cloves – crushed
Curry leaves – As required
6. Onions – 4, chopped
Green chillies – 5, chopped
7. Turmeric powder – 2 small spoons
Coriander powder – 5 small spoons
Pepper powder – 2 small spoons
Chilli powder – 2.5 big spoons
8. Tomato – 3, chopped
9. Coconut – 2
10. Salt – As per taste
Vinegar – As required
11. Shallots – 3, chopped
Curry leaves – 2 stalks
Red chillies – 2 or 3
How to prepare Nadan Tharavu Curry (Countryside Duck Curry in Kerala Style)?
1. Clean duck, and without removing skin cut into small pieces.
2. Add a little salt, vinegar and turmeric powder to water and dip duck pieces.
3. Wash it well and strain off water.
4. Take a pressure cooker, and put duck pieces to it.
5. Add one small spoon of vinegar, a little turmeric powder, a little chopped ginger & garlic, salt and a big spoon of oil.
6. Manually mix the contents well and cook in low flame till 4 or 5 whistles.
7. Heat coconut oil in a pan and sputter mustard seeds.
8. Sauté ingredients no: 4 and add ingredients no: 5.
9. Mix it well till a pleasant smell comes out.
10. Add onion and green chillies and sauté well.
11. When it is done, reduce the flame and add ingredients no: 7.
12. Mix it well and add tomatoes.
13. Close the lid and cook for 5 minutes.
14. Add cooked duck along with water and mix it well.
15. Close the lid, reduce the flame and cook for a few minutes.
16. Extract first and second milk from coconut.
17. Add second milk to duck and cook it with closed lid.
18. Add vinegar and salt, mix well and then first extract of coconut milk.
19. Stir well and take off the flame before milk starts curdling.
20. Fry ingredients no: 11 in hot oil and decorate your traditional duck curry.
Courtesy: Vanitha Magazine April 15-30, 2019
Read a few more delicious non-veg duck side dish/curry recipes here. Here is the page link. Click on the images in the gallery to read.