Meen Curry (Fish Curry)
Ingredients for Meen Curry (Fish Curry):
1. Vatta (Bluefin trevally) / Parava (False trevally) fish – 1 kg
2. Coconut scrapped – 1.5 cups
Red chillies – 10
Turmeric powder – 1 small spoon
Shallots – 3
3. Salt – As required
4. Green chillies – 4, split into two
Ginger – 1 small piece, chopped
5. Curry leaves – 1 stalk
6. Tamarind – Lemon sized
7. Curry leaves – 1 stalk
Coconut oil – 1 big spoon
How to prepare Meen Curry (Fish Curry)?
1. Clean fish and keep aside.
2. Soak tamarind in a little water.
3. Grind together ingredients no: 2. The ingredients should not be made a very fine paste.
4. Pour this gravy along with 2 cups of water and salt to an earthen pot and allow it to boil.
5. Add ginger and green chillies, mix well and add fish and curry leaves to the boiling gravy.
6. When it boils, add filtered tamarind juice mix well and close the earthen pot with a lid.
7. Cook fish curry in low flame.
8. When fish is well cooked and gravy thickens, add curry leaves and coconut oil to it.
9. Rotate the earthen pot once and take it from flame.
10. Serve hot with rice.
Source: Vanitha Magazine September 1-15 2017
Read a few more delicious non-veg fish side dish/curry recipes here. Click on the images in the gallery to read.