Chaldean Fish Curry
Ingredients for Chaldean Fish Curry:
1. Pomfret (Avoli) fish medium sized – 1
2. Vinegar and salt – As required
3. Coconut – ½, scrapped
4. Cumin seeds – ¼ small spoon
Garlic – 4 cloves
Ginger – ½ inch piece
Turmeric powder – A little
5. Oil – As required
6. Onion – 1 medium sized, finely chopped
7. Tamarind – 1 small ball, soaked in water and juice extracted
8. Green chillies – 3, ends split
9. Salt – For taste
10. Coriander leaves chopped – To decorate
How to prepare Chaldean Fish Curry?
1. Clean the fish and make cuts on both surfaces.
2. Marinate it with salt and vinegar.
3. Soak coconut in warm water and grind to extract first milk.
4. In the remaining coconut (residue left after taking milk), add ingredients no: 4.
5. Grind the mixture well adding sufficient water and extract second milk from it.
6. Heat oil in a pan and fry fish. But never over fry it.
7. In the remaining oil, sauté onions and add coconut milk second extract.
8. Add tamarind also and cook in low flame.
9. When the contents boil well, add fried fish to it and green chillies.
10. Mix well and allow your contents to cook well.
11. When it’s done, add first extract coconut milk along with salt.
12. Stir slowly to mix the contents. Take care not to break the fish.
13. Transfer the fish as such to the serving plate and pour the gravy on top of it.
14. Decorate with coriander leaves and serve.
Courtesy: Vanitha Magazine November 15-30, 2016
Read a few more delicious non-veg fish side dish/curry recipes here. Click on the images in the gallery to read.