Ingredients for Chakka Vilayichath:
1. Jack fruit (Varikka Chakka type) – 2 kg
2. Ghee – 2 big spoons
3. Jaggery scrapped – 2 cups
4. Coconut scrapped – 2 cups
5. Cardamom powdered – 1 small spoon
How to prepare Chakka Vilayichath?
1. Chop jackfruit into small pieces and smash once using a mixer.
2. Transfer it to a thick bottomed urli and pour water upto the level of jackfruit.
3. Boil the contents. Keep stirring occasionally.
4. When it starts boiling, start adding ghee little by little.
5. Keep stirring. Cook jackfruit.
6. Melt jaggery in another pan, adding sufficient water.
7. Remove the foam and strain jaggery solution.
8. Add this jaggery solution to jackfruit and mix well.
9. Also add coconut and mix well.
10. Continue cooking till water content is fully absorbed.
11. Add cardamom powder and put off the flame.
12. Transfer your Chakka Vilayichath to another container and allow to cool.
Courtesy: Vanitha Magazine, June 25 – July 8, 2022
Note: If you keep it in freezer, Chakka Vilayichath stays fresh for a long period. You can also use it as a filling for kozhukkatta and ada. You can add extra coconut if needed for such preparations.
Also read a few jackfruit snack and sweet recipes. Visit my page.