Chakka Kuru Payasam (Jack Seed Payasam)
Ingredients for Chakka Kuru Payasam (Jack Seed Payasam):
1. Jack seeds cleaned and chopped to fine pieces – 1 cup
Bengal gram (Paripp) – ½ cup
Salt and water – As required
2. Jaggery – 200 gm
Water – 100 milli
3. Coconut milk 1st extract – 100 milli
Coconut milk 2nd extract – 100 milli
4. Ghee – 3 big spoons
5. Cashews – 10
Raisins – 10
6.Cardamom powder – 2 pinch
How to prepare Chakka Kuru Payasam (Jack Seed Payasam)?
1. Mix together ingredients no: 1 and cook in pressure cooker. Put the flame off after two whistles.
2. Once the pressure drops to zero, open the lid and smash well the ingredients.
3. Add water to jaggery and melt it to prepare jaggery solution.
4. Heat an urli and pour jaggery solution to it.
5. Also add gram-jack seed mixture to it and cook well in low flame. Stir continuously.
6. When the water content gets fully absorbed and payasam turns dry, add coconut milk second extract to it and allow the contents to boil.
7. Cook again till your payasam thickens.
8. Add coconut milk first extract to it, mix well and put the flame off.
9. Fry cashews and raisins in ghee and add to your jack seed payasam.
10. Add cardamom powder and mix well.
Archive: Vanitha Magazine, September 1-14, 2016
Chakka Kuru Pradhaman (Jack Seed Pradhaman) – Recipe 2
Ingredients for Chakka Kuru Pradhaman (Jack Seed Pradhaman) – Recipe 2:
1. Coconut pieces – 3 table spoons
2. Ghee – 3 table spoons
3. Raisins and cashews – 25 gm each
4. Cardamom powder – 1 table spoon
5. Salt – A pinch
6. Coconut milk first extract – 1 cup
7. Coconut milk second extract – 1.5 cups
8. Jackfruit seeds cooked and smashed – 1.5 cups
9. Jaggery boiled adding water and filtered – 750 gm
How to prepare Chakka Kuru Pradhaman (Jack Seed Pradhaman) – Recipe 2?
1. Heat ghee in a thick bottomed pan and fry coconut pieces.
2. When they turn tender brown colour, add cashews followed by raisins.
3. Fry them well and remove from ghee.
4. Add smashed jackfruit seed to it along with second extract coconut milk.
5. When it boils, add jaggery solution and keep stirring.
6. When the contents turn thick, reduce the flame and add first extract of coconut milk.
7. Add salt and cardamom and mix well followed by fried nuts and put off the flame.
8. Add remaining ghee too and serve Chakka Kuru Pradhaman lukewarm.
Courtesy: Grihalakshmi Magazine, June 1 – 15, 2019
Also read a few more payasam and pradhaman recipes. Here is the page link. Click on the images in the gallery to read.