No doubt, Asha Parekh remained one among the most successful and popular actress of 1960s. She ruled millions of hearts with her charm, shining eyes and cute smile. She was just the perfect face for Bollywood heroines of the era, and she handled both glamorous and sari-clad roles with ease. In the 1970s, as age passed by, she preferred to stay away from big screen instead of doing mother and sister roles and this lovely actress is an integral part of 1960s.
In my opinion she was the most successful actress of the era of 1960s with maximum hits.That’s the reason she was known by the name, Hit Girl. She was one among the most busy heroines in 1960s who did maximum films as well. She has worked with all leading heroes of her time, and through this column I would like to list her top 15 songs belonging to different movies – indeed a difficult task.
I tried to list her top 10 songs, but I couldn’t. I even excluded her popular films like Dil Dekho Dekho, Ziddi, Mein Tulsi Tere Angan Ki and many more from the list. She shares several hit songs with R. D. Burman during her film career. In fact R. D.’s early hits like Teesri Manzil, Pyar Ka Mausam and Baharon Ke Sapne exclusively belong to Asha Parekh too. As she stayed away from tear jerking roles most, energetic and fun giving tunes composed by R. D. Burman in the second half of 1960s were apt for her screen image.
1. “Na Jaa O Mere Humdum” and “Ni Sultana Re” – It remains one among my personal favourites. The song belongs to the movie ‘Pyar Ka Mausam’ (1969) and she shared screen space with the charming Shashi Kapoor. The movie was directed by Nasir Hussain with whom Asha has been frequently associated with. The movie also included several memorable tracks such as “Tum Bin Jao Kaha” and “Ni Sultana Re”, and both these songs were extremely popular. “Mein Na Miloongi” is yet another Lata solo from this movie featuring Asha.
2. “Oh Mere Sona Re” and “Aaja Aaja” – This suspense thriller film gave a big break to R. D. Burman in Bollywood music industry. Teesri Manzil (1966) included several chartbuster hits like O Haseena and Tumne Mujhe Dekha. Oh Mere Sona Re pictured on Shammi and Asha exclusively belongs to our lovely heroine, and the couple rocked in the song, Aaja Aaja. Its lyrics were penned by Majrooh Sultanpuri. The movie also included a less-known but wonderful duet of Rafi and Asha, filmed on the lead pair, Dekhiye Sahibo Woh Koi Aur Thi.
3. “Kya Jaano Sajan” and “Aaja Piya” – Both these songs are evergreen, and best among Lata Mangeshkar song. So I couldn’t leave any choice, but to choose both these songs belonging to the film – Baharon Ke Sapne (1967). She was paired with Rajesh Khanna and the beautiful songs were composed by R. D. Burman. The movie also included an extremely popular dance song filmed on Asha Parekh, aside star cast which include Rajesh Khanna and Madan Puri – Chunari Sambhal Gori. Asha Parekh sync-lipped to Lata Mangeshkar’s voice while male vocals for Madan Puri were provided by Manna Dey.
4. “Yeh Duniyawale Poochenge” and “Aankhon Aankhon Mein” of Mahal – This suspense thriller was directed by Shanker Mukherjee, and music was composed by Kalyanji-Anandji. Asha Parekh looked extremely beautiful in both these song and Dev Anand in his ‘romantic ada’ as always. Both the duets were sung by Kishore Kumar and Asha Bhosle. Also read: Top 10 duets of Kishore Kumar and Asha Bhosle.
5. “Bangle Ke Peeche” – It’s one of the best dance songs pictured on Asha Bhosle. The songs belong to 1972 film – Samadhi. This Lata Mangeshkar song has been remixed several times and heard several times. Once again its music was composed by R. D. Burman. The movie also included the romantic track – Jab Tak Rahe Tan Mein Jiya.
6. “Sayonara” and “Mujhe Tum Mil Gaye” – Another difficult choice to select the best song from the movie ‘Love in Tokyo’. The evergreen songs were created by Shankar Jaikishan and Hasrat Jaipuri. She was paired with Joy Mukherjee. The movie also included the sizzling track – Aaja Re Aa Zara featuring the lead pair and romantic track O Mere Shahe Khuba – sung in two versions.
7. “Acha To Hum Chalte Hai “– This lovely goodbye song from the movie – Aan Milo Sajna is still popular. She was paired with Rajesh Khanna for this movie which was a box office hit.
8. “Na Koi Umang Hai” – Yet another R. D song for an Asha Parekh film. Though Asha owns several jubilee hits, she received Filmfare award for a single movie – Katti Patang in 1970, where she was paired with Rajesh Khanna who was glowing in the ‘Aradhana’ fame then. The movie included several hit songs pictured on Rajesh Khanna and Asha, and voice rendered by Kishore Kumar and Mukesh such as Pyar Diwana Hota Hai, Yeh Shyam Masitani and Jis Gale Mein.
9. “Suno Sajna Papihe Ne” – No doubt this song will definitely find place in the best songs pictured on Asha Parekh. She was paired with Dharmendra for the film, Aaye Din Bahar Ke. Asha looked extremely beautiful and stunning in this song. This classic romantic number was composed by Laxmikanth-Pyarelal and penned by Anand Bakshi. The movie also included the popular dance number pictured on Asha – “Khat Likh De Sawariya Ke Naam” and romantic track – “Yeh Kali Jab Talak Phool Banke”.
10. “Kitna Pyara Wada Hai” – Yet another R. D. Burman song. The song belongs to the musical Caravan released in 1971. She was paired with Jeetendra for this duet song. The movie also included many popular songs like “Piya Tu Ab To Aaja” and “Dilbar Dil Se Pyare”. The songs were penned by Majrooh Sultanpuri.
11. “Aankhon Se Jo Utri Hai Dil Mein” – This beautiful song sung by Asha Bhosle belongs to the romantic film, Phir Wohi Dil Laaya Hoon (1963). She worked with Joy Mukherjee for several romantic movies in the 1960s which proved successful. Music of Phir Wohi Dil Laaya Hoon was composed by O.P. Nayyar. Also read: Top 50 songs of O. P. Nayyar.
12. “Sau Saal Pehle” – Jab Pyar Kise Se Hota Hai was one of the early hits of Asha Parekh which established her as a star of Bollywood. The movie included several chartbuster hits, and as we are listing popular songs of Asha Parekh, this duet song can be included in the list. The most popular song – “Jiya O Jiya” was also pictured on Asha Parekh, but it is known to be a Dev Anand song.
13. “Jab Chali Thandi Hawa” – A popular song sung by Asha Bhosle belongs to the movie – Do Badan (1966). Music was composed by Ravi and extremely popular. It was one of the rarest movies, where Manoj Kumar played a romantic hero role. ‘Lo Aa Gayi Unki Yaad’ is yet another popular song featuring Asha Parekh. All the songs were penned by Shakeel Badayuni.
14. “Parde Mein Rehne Do” – This popular item song was sung by Asha Bhosle and belongs to the movie Shikar. The movie was released in 1968, and Dharmendra played lead hero role.
15. “Jaaiye Aap Kahaan Jaayenge”– Let me end the list with this beautiful song from the movie Mere Sanam. Apart from R. D. Burman, O. P. Nayyar has also given several evergreen songs for Asha Parekh movies, and Mere Sanam is one such. The movie also included hit tracks like “Yeh Hai Reshmi Zulfein” and “Pukarta Chala Hoon Main”. She was paired with romantic hero Biswajeet for this film.
Apart from the songs listed above, songs of Kanyadan – Likhe Jo Khat Tujhe, Bin Badal Barsaat – Jab Jaag Ude Arman and Ik Baar Zara Phir Kehdo, Chirag – Teri Aakhon Ke Siva & Chaayi Barkha Bahaar , Jab Pyar Kise Se Hota Hai – Title Track and Ziddi – Raat Ka Sama and Yeh Meri Zindagi, Pagla Kahin Ka – Tum Mujhe Yu Bhula Na, Zakhmi – Aao Tumhe Chande Pe, Aaya Saawan Jhook Ke – Title track, Barosa – Aaj Ki Mulakat, Rakhi Aur Hathkadi – Ache Nahi Sanam Dillagi too were extremely popular. Yes, as told in the above song, how can we go leaving her memorable movies and songs? I believe 1960s to the most beautiful era of Bollywood music, and definitely several songs pictured on Asha belong to this beautiful era. Definitely this decade and its music are incomplete without Asha Parekh for sure.
List of a few great songs filmed on Asha Parekh, but not sync-liped by her
Bollywood 1960s owns a big list of songs filmed on Asha Parekh, though she doesn’t sync-lip to them. Most of them are the finest romantic tunes of the era. Let me list a few of them.
Soft and sensuous solo rendering of Rafi from ‘Love in Tokyo’
1. Aa Jaa Re Aa Zara from Love in Tokyo
2. Jab Jaag Ude Armaan from Bin Badal Barsat
3. Pukarta Chala Hoon Mein from Mere Sanam
4. Humdum Mere Maan Bhi Jao from Mere Sanam
5. Hue Hain Tumpe Aashiq Hum from Mere Sanam
6. Tukde Hain Mere Dil Ke from Mere Sanam
7. Aachal Mein Saja Lena from Phir Wohi Dil Laaya Hoon
8. Banda Parvar from Phir Wohi Dil Laaya Hoon
9. Le Gayi Dil Gudiya Jaapan Ki from Love in Tokyo
10. O Mere Shahe-Khuban from Love in Tokyo (Rafi Version)
11. Yeh Shyam Mastani from Kati Patang
12. Pyar Deewana Hota Hai from Kati Patang
13. Jis Gali Mein Tera Ghar from Kati Patang
14. Dilbar Dilbar Se Pyare from Caravan
15. Deewana Mujhsa Nahin from Teesri Manzil
16. Tumne Mujhe Dekha from Teesri Manzil
17. O Haseena Zulfonwali from Teesri Manzil
18. Tum Bin Jao Kaha from Pyar Ka Mausam
19. Teri Aankhon Ke Siva from Chirag
20. Jiya Ho from Pyar Kise Se Hota Hai
Pukarta Chala Hoon Mein from Mere Sanam sung by Rafi
21. Hum Aur Tum Aur Yeh Sama from Dil Deke Dekho
22. Raha Gardishon Mein Hardum from Do Badan
23. Naseeb Mein Jisko Jo Likha from Do Badan
24. Nache Man Mora from Meri Surat Teri Aankhein
25. Like Jo Khat Tujhe from Kanyadaan
26. Meri Zindagi Me Aate To Kuch Aur Baat Hoti from Kanyadaan
27. Mere Dushman Tu Meri Dosti from Aaye Din Bahar Ke
28. Khkudaya Khair from Aaye Din Bahar Ke
29. Husnwale Tera Jawab Nahi from Gharana
30. Shikar Karne Ko Aaye from Shikar
31. Deewanon Se Ye Mat Poocho from Upkar
32. Ankhon Mein Masti Sharab Ki from Chhaya
33. Janu Kya Mera Dil Ab Kaha Kho Gaya Bolo from Ziddi
34. Pyar Ki Manzil Mast Safar Tum Ho Hasin from Ziddi
35. Ponchh Kar Ashq Apni Ankhon Se from Naya Raaste
Asha Parekh in less-heard song from Teesri Manzil – Dekhiye Sahibo Woh Koi Aur Thi
The songs really make a wonderful and lengthy list, and Asha is a part of them, definitely. Though she has not sync-liped to these evergreen tracks, these songs definitely belongs to her, and we can’t imagine most of these listed songs without her. A marvelous list of solo hits, majority of them exclusively belongs to Rafi, especially songs of 1960s. If I missed your favourite in both these above lists, let me know.
Go through the gallery of Asha Parekh articles
Really heart touching and beautiful collection of Charming and Enchanting personality Asha Parekh. I can not forget her all sweet songs. Really this lovely collection is very very useful to pass sad time during silent moments in night.
Asha Parekh is my most favourite Bollywood actress ever…. She was just born to become a part of Bollywood film industry
Clear picture of ear ring from the song of O MERE SAHE KHUBA , LOVE IN TOKYO.
Clear picture of ear ring from the song of O MERE SAHE KHUBA- FILM- LOVE IN TOKYO
WE ARE INTERESTED TO MAKE SAME DESIGNED ORNAMENT.
Requested please be sent through Email.