16 Bollywood real life couples who won the popular Filmfare Awards
Filmfare Awards – The most prestigious awards in Bollywood film industry. Bollywood is the glamorous and most entertaining film industry of India, and over the years Filmfare Awards awarded by Filmfare magazine has only increased the glamour quotient of this big entertainment industry. Read 45+ Artists who won this award more than 5 times, and 10 Superstars who have never won it at least once in best actor category. Among the recipients, only a few Bollywood families managed to win it more than once, or members belonging to same family. Through this column I would like to mention only those real life couple who have won Filmfare awards. Also read: Top 15 Bollywood movies of real life couple on big screen.
1. R. D. Burman & Asha Bhosle
The celebrated music director Burman Da and the celebrated female voice Asha has given many memorable and chartbuster songs which stood against the test of time. It’s not a surprising fact that the duo revolutionized Bollywood music. Before Asha declared not to receive any more award in best female singer category at Filmfare awards, she had already received 7 Filmfare awards from 18 nominations. After that Filmfare awarded her two more awards in 1996 and 2001. R. D received his last award for best music director posthumously in 1995. Before that he had won only two awards in best music director category from 17 nominations, though he remained the most popular music director for more than two decades, and inspired many future generations. He also received nomination for best singer for Sholay. Read about R. D.’s brief stint as an actor in Bollywood.
2. Amitabh Bachchan and Jaya Bachchan
The gifted artists and legendary couple of Hindi film industry, Amitabh Bachchan currently holds the record in the actor’s category to win maximum awards. Till now he has received 15 Filmfare awards in different categories including Best actor award five times. Jaya Bachchan, earlier known as Jaya Bhaduri has won a total of 8 Filmfare awards including three best actress trophies of 1970s decade. The couple’s son Abhishek Bachchan and daughter-in-law Aishwarya Rai too are the recipients of Filmfare awards in the present era.
3. Abhishek Bachchan and Aishwarya Rai
Similar to the celebrated Bachchan couple of 1970s, this lovely couple too is a recipient of several Filmfare awards in actor’s category. Among all their movies together, Guru is most popular which won several awards and nominations. Till now Abhishek has won Filmfare Awards for best supporting actor three times in a row, thus completing a Hat-trick. His wife Aishwarya too is a winner of Filmfare Award for best actress twice.
4. Javed Akhtar and Shabana Azmi
Yet another gifted and talented couple of Bollywood film industry, these legends have set several bookmarks in Bollywood cinema, and won several Filmfare and National Film awards. Javed Akhtar is a recipient of 14 Filmfare awards in screenwriting, dialogues and lyrics combined. His wife Shabana currently holds the highest number of awards in National Film Awards (Best actress category), has also won 5 Filmfare awards including the recent supporting actress award for Neerja.
5. Gulzar and Rakhee Gulzar
The legendary writer Gulzar currently holds the record of maximum Filmfare awards in Bollywood. He leads the list with 20 awards, with 11 for best lyricist and the rest in best film, screenplay and direction categories. His wife Rakhee remained a top star of 1970s. She is a recipient of Filmfare Award for Best Actress once and supporting actress twice from multiple nominations.
6. Dharmendra and Hema Malini
It’s known to everyone, Dharmendra has never received Filmfare award for his acting skills though he desired it a lot. Yet he is a winner of two Filmfare awards in the 1990s, for best film – Ghayal and Life time achievement award in 1997. Hema Malini, the dream girl of 1970s won Best actress trophy for her double role in Seeta Aur Geeta, and a Lifetime achievement award in 1999. Also read: Bollywood actors who turned superstars playing dual roles.
7. Rajesh Khanna and Dimple Kapadia
The first superstar of Indian film industry, Rajesh Khanna received a total of 6 Filmfare awards. Three awards in the best actor category from 14 nominations is indeed a great achievement. Dimple Kapadia is a recipient of 4 Filmfare awards, which include two Best actress trophies. She is one of the rare actors of Bollywood who won Filmfare award for best actor/actress for debut film.
8. Sunil Dutt & Nargis Dutt
Both remained top actors in the glorious era of Bollywood cinema. Sunil Dutt is a recipient of two Filmfare awards for best actor, and one Lifetime achievement award. Nargis received her single Filmfare award for Mother India, and a nomination for her performance in Raat Aur Din, which later gave her National award for best actress, the first recipient of this prestigious award.
9. Saif Ali Khan & Kareena Kapoor
Listed among the top stars of present day cinema, Saif Ali Khan is a recipient of 6 Filmfare awards belonging to supporting actor, antogonist and comedian categories, and has also received two nominations in best actor category. Kareena Kapoor is a recipient of six Filmfare Awards out of ten nominations which include one best actress trophy as well. Both the actors have ancestral roots in Bollywood film industry whose members have own multiple awards at Filmfare and other award functions.
10. Ajay Devgan & Kajol
The celebrated duo of Bollywood screen since 1990s, Kajol currently holds the record of highest number of Filmfare awards in best actress category aside her aunt Nutan. Including one award in best villain category, the total count of her Filmfare awards is 6. The talented Ajay Devgan is yet to receive an award in best actor category. But he has received four Filmfare awards, including two – best actor (critics’ choice).
11. Meena Kumari and Kamal Amrohi
Kamal Amrohi is remembered for some of the iconic movies of Bollywood screen such as Mahal and Pakeezha. He has also been associated with iconic movie of Indian cinema, Mughal-E-Azam, for which he received his single Filmfare award for writing best dialogues. His wife Meena Kumari remained a celebrated actress of 1950s and 1960s, and a recipient of 4 Filmfare awards in the best actress category from a total of 12 nominations. Till now she remains the only actress to get all the nominations for best actress a single year.
12. Aditya Chopra & Rani Mukerji
Aditya Chopra won Filmfare awards multiple times as a best director and film producer. His debut DDLJ accumulated numerous awards at various award functions. He received his first Filmfare award for best direction of DDLJ. His wife Rani Mukerji remains one of the top and talented actresses of new age Bollywood cinema. She is a recipient of 7 Filmfare awards including two in the best actress category. Also read: Actors who won Filmfare Best Actor Popular awards & Critics’ award for same movie.
13. Akshay Kumar and Twinkle Khanna
Akshay Kumar is yet to receive Filmfare award in best actor category. Yet he has been nominated four times in this category. He received Filmfare awards twice for best villain and comedian categories. Twinkle Khanna received her single Filmfare award for her debut in the movie Barsaat.
14. Vishal Bhardwaj and Rekha Bhardwaj
Vishal is a talented filmmaker of Bollywood, best known for Indian adaptations of three tragedies by William Shakespeare. He received his single Filmfare award for his debut work as a music composer for Maachis. His wife Rekha is a recipient of two Filmfare awards in the best female playback singer category.
15. Pankaj Kapur and Supriya Pathak
The couple is known for their work in offbeat films. Pankaj received his single Filmfare award for the movie, Maqbool. He won the award in Critics’ choice category. Supriya Pathak is a recipient of three Filmfare awards in a supporting role.
16. Siddharth Roy Kapur and Vidya Balan
The talented Vidya Balan is a recipient of 5 Filmfare awards including three awards in the best actress category. Siddharth Roy Kapur co-produced Barfi and Dangal which won Filmfare awards for best film.
Bollywood couples who couldn’t convert nomination to award
1. Smita Patel & Raj Babbar – Smita patel is a recipient of best actress award at Filmfare while her husband Raj couldn’t convert at least one of the five nominations to an award.
2. Rishi Kapoor & Neetu Singh – Rishi Kapoor won Filmfare best actor trophy for Bobby. He won three more trophies later. However his wife couldn’t convert her single Filmfare nomination in best actress supporting actress category for Kaala Pathar.
3. Kishore Kumar & Madhubala – The celebrated singer of Bollywood, Kishore Kumar is a recipient of 8 Filmfare awards. However Madhubala couldn’t convert her single Filmfare Nomination for Mughal-E-Azam to an award. Kishore’s fourth wife, Leena Chandavarkar though remained a popular and glamorous actress of 1970s, she never received any Filmfare nomination.
4. Dilip Kumar & Saira Banu – The legendary actor of Indian silver screen, Dilip Kumar is a winner of 8 Filmfare awards in best actor category and he holds the record with Shah Rukh Khan. Saira Bhanu received her first nomination for best actress for her debut film, Junglee followed by three more in the era of 1960s & 1970s, though she didn’t win. Thus she has been nominated four times in best actress category.
5. Naseeruddin Shah & Ratna Patak – The well-talented Naseeruddin Shah is a recipient of three National awards and three Filmfare awards each, while Ratna is still to receive her first Filmfare award. However she has been nominated thrice in best supporting actress category.
6. Shammi Kapoor & Geeta Bali – The celebrated star of 1960s, Shammi Kapoor received two Filmfare awards, one in best actor category and the second one in best supporting actor category. His wife too received two nominations in the same categories, yet she didn’t receive any award.
7. Anupam Kher & Kiran Kher – The versatile Anupam won Filmfare award for best comedian 5 times. He received a total of 8 awards including best actor popular choice and critics’ choice. Kiran received nomination in supporting actress category thrice and is yet to receive an award.
8. Boney Kapoor & Sridevi – Sridevi – the diva of Bollywood received Filmfare award for best actress twice, apart from a Special Award in 2013 for Nagina and Mr. India, as a recognition for her work in these films. Filmfare awards were not organized these years. Boney Kapoor’s No Entry has received a nomination for best film, though couldn’t win.
Bollywood couples who won Filmfare best actor and actress award
I have listed above 15 real life couples from Bollywood film industry who have won Filmfare award in any section. Among the listed above, only three couples are lucky enough to win awards in the prestigious best actor and actress categories. They are Amitabh Bachchan & Jaya Bachchan, Rajesh Khanna & Dimple Kapadia and Sunil Dutt & Nargis Dutt.
I have added a big list of articles on Filmfare Awards, the most celebrated film awards of Hindi cinema. Here is the page link. Click on the images to read.