Simple Tomato Curry
This recipe belongs to my mother. An easy tomato side dish, it’s best combo for chapathi. You can also use it with steam cake, appam or any other breakfast dish. Also read: Breakfast dishes of Kerala.
Ingredients for Simple Tomato Curry:
1. Well-ripen reddish tomatoes – 4
2. Onions – 3
3. Green chillies – 2 or 3
4. Vegetable oil or coconut oil – 1 or 2 tsp
5. Coriander leaves – 1 or 2 stalks
6. Salt – As per taste
How to prepare Simple Tomato Curry?
1. Cut onions and tomatoes into small pieces.
2. Finely chop green chillies and coriander leaves as well.
3. Heat oil in a pan and add tomatoes, onions and green chillies to it.
4. Add sufficient salt, mix the contents well and close it with a tight lid.
5. Put to low flame and cook for 10-15 minutes. No need to add water.
6. Sauté the tomato curry once in a while to prevent sticking of contents to pan.
7. When it’s done, decorate with chopped coriander leaves and put the flame off.
8. The curry will be thick, and tastes best with chappatti.
A few more tips
1. You can also bring different flavours to this simple tomato curry.
2. Add finely chopped capsicum to onions and tomatoes while cooking, and add tomato sauce just before you put the flame off.
3. You can add finely chopped ginger and garlic to make it a little spicy.
4. For chilly flavour, you can also reduce green chillies and add a little chilli powder. Adding chopped sambar chilli gives yet another flavour of this simple tomato curry.
5. Vegetable oil is best for making this tomato curry. However coconut oil is the second best choice, most preferably if you serve tomato curry with appam.