Ingredients for Rava – Kadalamaavu Puttu:
1. Rava – 500 gm
2. Gram Flour (Kadala Maav / Besan) – 250 gm
3. Ghee – Two small spoons
4. Salt – As required
5. Coconut scrapped – 1
6. Water – 250 ml
How to prepare Rava – Kadalamaavu Puttu?
1. Heat ghee is a pan and fry slightly rava and gram flour.
2. Use this mixture to make Puttu powder by mixing them both adding sufficient water and salt.
3. Take putt maker, put some scrapped coconut, then 5 big spoons of flour, scrapped coconut again and continue the process to full the cylinder.
4. Put scrapped coconut on the top also and steam cook putt.
5. Serve hot with Kadala curry.
Ingredients for Kadala Curry Koottu:
1. Black/White Chana (Chickpeas) cooked – ½ kg
2. Coconut oil – Three big spoons
3. Mustard seeds – ¼ small spoon
Red chillies – 6
Curry leaves – 2 stalks
4. Onion sliced long – ½ cup
Ginger, garlic and green chillies chopped length-wise – 1 small spoon
5. Chilli powder – 2 small spoons
Coriander powder – 2 small spoons
Turmeric powder – ¼ small spoon
Salt – As required
6. Coconut milk – From 2 coconuts
Coconut oil (not boiled) – 2 big spoons
Garam masala powder – ½ – 1 tsp or (full garam masala)
How to prepare Kadala Curry Koottu?
1. Heat three big spoons of oil and sputter mustards. Saute red chillies and curry leaves also.
2. Add ingredients no: 4 to it and when it is done, add ingredients no: 5 and sauté again.
3. Add cooked chana to it and sufficient water and salt. Boil well.
4. Add coconut milk, garam masala and coconut oil.
5. Mix well and put the flame off.
Courtesy: Vanitha Magazine, May 1-14 2009
To read about the interesting story of Kerala’s traditional dish Puttu, also known by the name Steam cake, click the link
You can read few more delicious steamcake recipes here. Here is the page link. Click on the images in the gallery to read.