Ingredients for Puliyodharai Mix:
1. Gingerly oil – 150 gm
2. Asafoetida powder – ½ small spoon
3. Red chillies – 8
Fenugreek – ½ small spoon
4. Mustard – 1.5 small spoons
5. Red chillies – 5, broken
6. Black gram dal (Urud dal) – 2 small spoons
Bengal gram – 4 small spoons
7. Groundnut – 50 gm, after removing skin
8. Green chillies – 2, chopped
Curry leaves – 1 stem
9. Tamarind – Gooseberry sized, squeezed adding sufficient water
10. Turmeric powder and salt – As needed
How to prepare Puliyodharai Mix?
1. Heat ½ spoon oil in a pan and fry asafoetida.
2. Add ingredients no: 3 and fry again.
3. When it is done, put off the flame.
4. When the mixture cools, powder it using a grinder.
5. In the same pan, heat a little more oil and sputter mustard seeds.
6. Fry broken red chillies, followed by urud dal and Bengal gram.
7. Add groundnut, followed by green chillies and curry leaves and mix the contents.
8. Add tamarind juice, salt and turmeric powder, followed by fenugreek-red chillies fried powder.
9. Boil the contents and add remaining gingerly oil. Put off the flame.
10. If needed you can add more oil, and boil till the curry thickens.
11. When water content completely evaporates, put off the flame.
12. When the contents cool, store in glass containers.
Courtesy: Vanitha Magazine, March 15-31, 2020
Also read a few more dal recipes: