Mayuri Kango – Bollywood actress of ‘Papa Kehte Hain’ fame
Mayuri Kango is a former Indian actress, who appeared in Bollywood films and a few Hindi TV soaps. She is best known for her lead role in ‘Papa Kehte Hain’ released in 1995, though the movie was a flop. National award winning movie – Naseem (1995) was her debut flick where she played lead role, and she played noted roles in Badal, Hogi Pyaar Ki Jeet, Betaabi etc. She currently serves as Industry Head of Google India since 2019.
Mayuri Kango’s debut film won National award for best direction and screenplay
She hails from Aurangabad. Her entry to films was accidental. She came to Mumbai to visit her mother and she was spotted by highly acclaimed director Saeed Akhtar Mirza, who offered her the lead role in off-beat film, Naseem. Set in the backdrop of demolition of the structure of Babri Masjid, the movie depicted the relationship between a 15-year old and her grandfather, the characters played by Mayuri and lyricist Kaifi Azmi.
Her performance in Naseem impressed director Mahesh Bhatt, who offered her the lead role in Papa Kehte Hain opposite Jugal Hansraj. Though the movie was a flop, music composed by Rajesh Roshan was immensely popular. Her performance also got noticed. Later she mostly played supporting roles throughout 1990s receiving limited success, before moving to television in 2001. She was casted opposite Arshad Warsi in the comedy film, Hogi Pyar Ki Jeet. Ajay Devgan and Neha also appeared in pivot roles. The film fared well at box office.
She got limited success through TV shows
She appeared in TV shows such as Kya Hadsaa Kya Haqeeqat, Karishma – The Miracles of Destiny, Kkusum, Dollar Bahu, Kaahin Kissii Roz, Nargis etc. She also anchored Doordarshan’s iconic film musical program of Sunday mornings, Rangoli for a brief period in 2001. She also did item songs in a few Hindi and south Indian films including Shikari and Jung. In 2003 she married an NRI named Aditya Dhillon and moved to New York. She completed MBA in marketing and finance from City University of New York and later started her professional career as a corporate.
Mayuri Kango – Some interesting and less-known facts
1. She was featured in the music video, Ram Ratan Dhan Payo sung by Lata Mangeshkar. Kim Sharma also appears in the video released in 1997, three years before she marked her screen debut through Mohabbatein.
2. She played granddaughter of Kaifi Azmi in her debut flick, Naseem. It’s the single screen appearance of the iconic poet and lyricist. The movie also marked screen debut of Kay Kay Menon.
3. Initially she rejected her role in Naseem as she was to appear in HSC board exams. Later the director convinced her.
Mayuri Kango – Top Bollywood Songs
1. Ghar Se Nikalte Hi from Papa Kehte Hain
2. Pyar Mein Hota Hai from Papa Kehte Hain
3. Pehle Pyar Ka Pehla from Papa Kehte Hain
4. Yeh Jo Thode Se from Papa Kehte Hain
5. Taalon Mein Nainital from Hogi Pyar Ki Jeet
6. Aa Gaye Din Sanam from Hogi Pyaar Ki Jeet