Ingredients for Jalebi:
1. Maida – 1.5 cups
Soda bi carbonate – 1 small spoon
2. Sugar – 2.5 cups
Water – 2.5 cups
3. Cardamom powder – ½ small spoon
4. Ghee – As required
How to prepare Jalebi?
1. Mix ingredients no: 1 adding sufficient water to prepare thick batter.
2. Place this batter overnight for fermentation.
3. Add a little more water to the batter in the morning to make it a little loose.
4. Batter should be similar to dosa (to pour using a spoon).
5. Prepare sugar solution by boiling sugar with water.
6. Add cardamom powder to it and boil for 20 more minutes.
7. Heat ghee in a thick bottomed pan.
8. Take a clean muslin cloth and put a small hole at its centre.
9. Now fill the cloth with batter and squeeze it to form jalebi shapes in boiling ghee. You can make desirable shapes.
10. Flip jalebis both sides and fry till golden brown.
11. Put fried jabelis in warm sugar solution.
12. After 5 minutes, take them from sugar solution and serve.
Note: You can add red/orange/yellow colour to jilebis if desired.
Courtesy: Vanitha Magazine November 1-14, 2010
Jalebi – Recipe 2
Ingredients for Jalebi – Recipe 2:
1. Maida – 1.5 cups
Water – 1.25 cups
2. Sugar – 2 cups
Water – 2 cups
3. Saffron flower – ¼ small spoon
Saffron colour – ¼ small spoon
4. Ghee/oil – For frying
5. Maida – 2 big spoons
How to prepare Jalebi – Recipe 2?
1. Take 1.5 cups of maida in bowl.
2. Add 1.25 cups of water and mix it well using a spoon in such a way that it’s stirred in the same direction.
3. Do this process for 20 minutes and allow the batter to rest for next 24 hours in a warm place.
4. Prepare sugar syrup by boiling together ingredients no: 2.
5. Add ingredients no: 3 to it and continue stirring till sugar solution turns thread like.
6. Take off from flame and allow the sugar solution to cool. (When you dip hot jalebis, the solution should be slight warm)
7. Heat oil or ghee in a frying pan.
8. Reduce the flame to medium heat. Otherwise jalebis will be over-fried or change its colour.
9. Add two spoons of maida powder to the fermented batter you have already prepared.
10. Fill this batter in piping bag and place it above the hot oil.
11. Squeeze the batter to the oil in the shape of jalebis (from outwards to inward position).
12. When one side is done, flip once and fry both the sides in golden brown colour.
13. Take off from flame and dip hot jalebis in the already prepared sugar solution which is slightly warm.
14. Once it is done, take it off from sugar solution and serve hot.
Courtesy: Vanitha Magazine November 1-14, 2018
Jalebi (Recipe 3)
Ingredients for Jalebi (Recipe 3):
1. Maida – 100 gm
Corn flour – 1 small spoon
Baking soda – ¼ small spoon
Thick curd – 1 small spoon
Turmeric powder -2 pinch
Water – As needed
2. Oil – ½ litre
Ghee – 1 big spoon
3. Water – 1/4cup
Sugar – 125 gm
4. Saffron – ¼ small spoon
Cardamom powder – ¼ small spoon
How to prepare Jalebi (Recipe 3)?
1. Mix ingredients no: 1 together and prepare the batter.
2. Allow the batter to rest for 3 hours.
3. Heat ghee and oil together in a pan.
4. Use a piping bag or put a small hole in a cloth piece and pour batter into it.
5. Squeeze the batter into hot oil in jalebi shapes.
6. Reduce the flame and when one side turns crisp, flip once and cook other side too.
7. Mix ingredients no: 3 and boil to prepare sugar syrup.
8. Add saffron and cardamom in sugar syrup and stir it.
9. Put it in hot sugar syrup and take out after 3-4 minutes.
10. Continue the process for remaining jalebis.
Courtesy: Vanitha Magazine, October 15-28, 2022
Also read a few deep fried sweets, suited for all occasions. Here is the page link. Click on the images in the gallery to read.