Idiyappam 2-in-1 (Koonthal Idiyappam)
Ingredients for Idiyappam 2-in-1 (Koonthal Idiyappam):
1. Raw rice flour – 500 gm
2. Salt – For taste
3. Water – As required
To prepare filling:
4. Squid (Koonthal/Kanava) – 250 gm, chopped fine
5. Chilli powder – 1 table spoon
6. Turmeric powder – 1 teaspoon
7. Salt – For taste
8. Ginger and garlic crushed – 2 teaspoon
9. Onion – 1, chopped fine
10. Green chilli – 1, crushed
11. Curry leaves – 1 stem, chopped
12. Coriander leaves – As required
13. Coconut – ¼ cup (fried adding a little fennel seeds and turmeric powder and grinded)
14. Salt – For taste
15. Coconut oil – As required
How to prepare Idiyappam 2-in-1 (Koonthal Idiyappam)?
1. To prepare idiyappam, boil water first.
2. Add rice flour and salt and stir continuously for a few moments.
3. Put off the flame and allow it to cool.
4. To prepare filling, first marinate squid pieces with chilli powder, turmeric powder and salt.
5. Deep fry it in hot oil. (But don’t over fry them)
6. In the remaining coconut oil, add crushed ginger and garlic and sauté it.
7. Add onions, green chilli, curry leaves and coriander leaves and sauté again.
8. Add coconut paste, salt and fried squid and mix the ingredients well.
9. Using an Idiyappam maker, squeeze the rice batter to greased moulds of Idli tray.
10. Place a little squid filling in between the layers, during the process.
11. Steam cook for a few minutes and serve hot.
Courtesy: Grihalakshmi Magazine, June 1 – 15, 2019
A few more appam and idiyappam recipes for you. Here is the page link. Click on the images in the gallery to read.