Emraan Hashmi – Top 30 Bollywood chartbuster songs
Emraan Hashmi marked his screen debut in 2003 through Footpath in a supporting role, and got his early big break through his second film, Murder released the following year. Since then he is best known for his romantic image, though he worked on different genres including negative roles. Yet his Casanova image since then is still intact, even after 15 years. Also read: Short bio of Emraan and some interesting facts.
In the past two decades right from the beginning of new millenium, if we point towards an actor with maximum chartbuster songs, definitely it would be Emraan Hashmi, more than Khans and Hrithik Roshan of Bollywood. Even if his films perform terribly at box office, his songs perform reverse. Among different music composers, Himesh Reshammiya composed music for many of his chartbuster films since 2005. Their successful association began with Aashiq Banaya Aapne (2005), which was a huge chartbuster. Later the composer delivered chartbuster songs for Aksar, Dil Diya Hai etc. In most these cases, the composer rendered his voice for the actor, which was liked by audience. His association with Pritam also delivered numerous chartbusters.
It is to be noted that many of his songs have been copied, directly lifted or influenced from Pakistani music bands or Arabian music. Yet those versions became extremely popular. Sayeed Quadri wrote many hit songs for Emraan. Through this column I shall list 30 of my favourite Emraan Hashmi songs. I have sorted songs based on the year of release.
1. Bheege Hont Tere from Murder (2004) – Music Composer: Anu Malik, Lyricist: Sayeed Quadri, Playback Singers: Kunal Ganjawala
Let us begin with one of the most sizzling songs of Bollywood ever – Bheege Hont Tere. It’s one of the hottest songs featuring Emraan Hashmi too. Murder was his first lead role, and his sizzling chemistry and steamy love scenes with Mallika Sherawat made the movie the top blockbuster of the year. When the movie was released, Bollywood heroes rarely did such erotic scenes and lip locks before, and it gave a playboy image to Emraan Hashmi which was never altered later. Kunal Ganjawala bagged his single Filmfare award for best male playback singer for this song.
2. Kaho Na Kaho from Murder (2004) – Music Composer: Anu Malik, Lyricist: Sayeed Quadri, Playback Singers: Amir Jamal
A fusion of Arabic and Urdu tune, the song originally belongs to an album sung by Amir Jamal, and he rendered its Bollywood version too. Arabian lyrics used by Amir originally belong to Egyptian singer Amr Diab’s Arabic song Tamally Maak, which the singer sought permission to use for his independent version. The song showed the romantic days of Emraan Hashmi and Mallika Sherawat, before her marriage to her brother-in-law.
3. Mujhe Tumse Mohabbat Hai from Tumsa Nahin Dekha: A Love Story (2004) – Music Composer: Nadeem-Shravan, Lyricist: Sameer, Playback Singers: Shaan and Shreya Ghoshal
The song had two versions – a soft and remixed version. The remixed version was used for the movie as a club song, where Diya Mirza appears as a club dancer, and Emraan Hashmi watches her. It’s one of the very occasions when Diya appears in a skin show. All the songs were popular. Maine Soch Liya and Yeh Dhuan Dhuan are two more popular songs from the album.
4. Agar Tum Mil Jao from Zeher (2005) – Music Composer: Anu Malik, Lyricist: Sayeed Quadri and Shakeel Azmi, Playback Singers: Udit Narayan/Alka Yagnik
The song had two solo versions recorded in Shreya and Udit Narayan’s voices, and female version filmed on Emraan Hashmi, Shamita Shetty and Udita Goswami was a huge chartbuster. Anu Malik composed this extremely popular song which is actually a copied version of Agar Tum Mil Jao Zamana Chod of Pakistani film, Imandar released in 1974 and sung by Tasawar Khanum. Its lines too – is a direct lift with a few modifications done by Sayeed Quadri and Shakeel Azmi.
5. Woh Lamhe Woh Baatein from Zeher (2005) – Music Composer: Mithoon, Atif Aslam, Naresh Sharma & Jal (Band), Lyricist: Sayeed Quadri & Shakeel Azmi, Playback Singer: Atif Aslam
It was not an original track, but a recreated one. The song originally belongs to Pakistani pop group, Jal (Band). The song filmed on Emraan Hashmi and Shamita Shetty became a rage among the youth those days. The movie included yet another reused soft track filmed on Emraan Hashmi, “Jaane Jaa Jaane Jaa” sung by Udit Narayan and Shreya Ghoshal, and originally composed by Roop Kumar Rathod.
6. Aashiq Banaya Aapne from Aashiq Banaya Aapne (2005) – Music Composer: Himesh Reshammiya, Lyricist: Sameer, Playback Singers: Himesh Reshammiya/ Himesh Reshammiya & Shreya Ghoshal
This sizzling romantic number of Aashiq Banaya Aapne is a duet sung by Shreya and Himesh, which made the music director overnight sensation. Bollywood’s hottest song ever was pictured on Emraan Hashmi and debutant Tanushree Dutta. Perhaps it’s the most sensuous and sizzling song ever filmed in Bollywood, and Emraan definitely lifted the romantic song to a new level through his trademark style for which he is popular most. Its remixed version was sung by composer himself. That version too was equally popular.
Himesh Reshammiya bagged Filmfare award for best male playback singer for its duet version, a very rare feat achieved by any music composer at award nights. In fact the movie marked Himesh’s debut as a playback singer, and since then he sang numerous chartbuster songs for Emraan, both soft and remixed versions. For many years, their association remained intact. It was for the first time in a row when two songs filmed on Hashmi won best playback singer awards at Filmfare.
7. Aap Ki Kashish from Aashiq Banaya Aapne (2005) – Music Composer: Himesh Reshammiya, Lyricist: Sameer, Playback Singers: Himesh Reshammiya
The movie included yet another track sung by the composer for Emraan Hashmi. The song was filmed on Emraan Hashmi, Tanushree Dutta and Sonu Sood, who completed the love triangle. The song was noticed for its unique filming. Dilnashin Dilnashin is yet another popular track from the album.
8. Juda Hoke Bhi (Remix) from Kalyug (2005) – Music Composer: Goher Mumtaz, Lyricist: Sayeed Quadri, Playback Singers: Atif Aslam
The song was originally composed by Goher Mumtaz, a founding member of Jal Band of Pakistan. The song was later rearranged by Mithoon for the movie. DJ Suketu did the remixed version. Emraan Hashmi played an extended cameo role in Kalyug and remixed version of Juda Hoke Bhi filmed on him was extremely popular. The tune was also used for promo version, Zahrele Ratein (in a remixed version) for Chocolate released same year. This song was also filmed on him.
9. Soniye Soniye from Aksar (2006) – Music Composer: Himesh Reshammiya, Lyricist: Sameer, Playback Singers: KK and Sunidhi Chauhan
This romantic duet filmed on Emraan Hashmi and Udita Goswami was one of the top tracks of the albu,.
10. Jhalak Dikhlaja from Aksar (2006) – Music Composer: Himesh Reshammiya, Lyricist: Sameer, Playback Singer: Himesh Reshammiya
The song had three versions. Himesh Reshammiya sang both its soft and remixed versions, and the song filmed on Emraan Hashmi and Udita Goswami was immensely popular. Its remixed version also had Dino Morea, featured aside Emraan and Udita on dance floor.
11. Afsana Banake Bhool Na Jaana from Dil Diya Hai (2006) – Music Composer: Himesh Reshammiya, Lyricist: Sameer, Playback Singers: Himesh Reshammiya and Tulsi Kumar
Geeta Basra was featured aside Emraan Hashmi in this hit party number, and Himesh Reshammiya’s voice is a perfect fit for Emraan’s style and mannerisms. Its sensuous title track filmed on Geeta Basra and Ashmit Patel was the top track of the album. The album included the remixed version ‘Dil Diya Hai’ featuring the lead actors, shown at closing credits of the film.
12. Tu Hi Meri Shab Hai from Gangster (2006) – Music Composer: Pritam, Lyricist: Sayeed Quadri, Playback Singer: K. K
Emraan Hashmi has played numerous grey and dark shaded roles on big screen, beginning with Murder. Gangster is yet another story of betrayal, and this time, the debutant Kangana Ranaut who later went on to become a huge star than Emraan. K. K received Filmfare nomination for best male playback.
13. Toh Phir Aao from Awarapan (2007) – Music Composer: Roxen (band) & Annie Khalid/ Pritam, Lyricists: Sayeed Quadri, Asif Ali Baig and Annie Khalid, Playback Singer: Mustafa Zahid
His highly acclaimed role in Awarapan broke all his stereotype roles he played on screen till then. He appears in intense emotions of sadness, loneliness and love in this song. Almost every song of the album was originally composed by Roxen (band) & Annie Khalid, and later recreated by Pritam. Apart from tune, lyrics of many Emraan Hashmi hit songs too are copied as such, with or without a few alterations.
14. Tera Mera Rishta Purana from Awarapan (2007) – Music Composer: Roxen (band) & Annie Khalid/ Pritam, Lyricists: Sayeed Quadri, Asif Ali Baig and Annie Khalid, Playback Singer: Mustafa Zahid
Yet another solo version sung by Mustafa Zahid for Hashmi, this song too was extremely popular. The actor has rarely showed such intense emotions on screen, throughout his career. Definitely Awarapan is one of his career best performances, needless to say. The movie also included a fast track, Mahiya sung by Annie Khalid and filmed on Emraan and Mrinalini Sharma. I excluded this popular song as it is a female solo.
15. Zara Sa Dil Mein from Jannat (2008) – Music Composer: Pritam, Lyricist: Sayeed Quadri, Playback Singer: K. K
He was featured aside Sonal Chauhan in this tragic love story which was a commercial hit. Lambi Judai was yet another popular song of the album, filmed on Hashmi. Sayeed Quadri who frequently wrote many hit songs of Emraan wrote this particular song too. K. K received Filmfare nomination for best male playback. It was for the second time he received nomination for a song lip-synced by Emraan Hashmi.
16. Maahi from Raaz: The Mystery Continues (2009) – Music Composer: Shaarib-Toshi, Lyricist: Sayeed Quadri, Playback Singers: Zubeen Garg & Toshi Sabri
Siblings Sharib and Toshi marked their debut with this film as music composers. The movie was a hit, and so are its songs. Kangana Ranaut marked her screen debut opposite Emraan Hashmi in Gangster, and they joined hands for the second time for Raaz: The Mystery Continues. They also worked together for Once Upon a Time in Mumbaai the following year, though not as pair. The movie marked the screen debut of Adhyayan Suman, who played a director and TV host. This song was filmed on Kangana Ranaut and Emraan Hashmi. Toshi Sabri sang its remixed solo version too.
17. Dil Ibadat from Tum Mile (2009) – Music Composer: Pritam, Lyricists: Kumaar and Sayeed Quadri, Playback Singer: KK
Though the movie was a flop, all the songs were extremely popular. The song was filmed on Soha Ali Khan and Emraan Hashmi. Hashmi, who plays an artist in the film makes a beautiful portrait of the actress in this song.
18. Tu Hi Haqeeqat from Tum Mile (2009) – Music Composer: Pritam, Lyricists: Kumaar and Sayeed Quadri, Playback Singer: Javed Ali
Yet another popular song of the album filmed on Soha Ali Khan and Emraan Hashmi, in this beautiful song which has shades of sorrows also features Hashmi as the artist and Soha Ali Khan as his inspiration to draw to portrait. Since mid-2000s Pritam composed numerous hit albums for Emraan Hashmi, and Tum Mile can be definitely listed among those.
19. Pee Loon from Once Upon a Time in Mumbaai (2010) – Music Composer: Pritam, Lyricist: Irshad Kamil, Playback Singers: Mohit Chauhan
This extremely romantic track filmed on Emraan Hashmi and Prachi Desai became a rage when got released. Mohit Chauhan received Filmfare nomination for best playback singer for this song.
20. Tujhko Jo Paaya from Crook (2010) – Music Composer: Pritam, Lyricist: Kumaar, Playback Singer: K.K
Though the movie was a huge flop, this song filmed on Emraan Hashmi and Neha Sharma was a chartbuster. The movie was all about racial attacks on Indian students in Australia in the late 2000s.
21. Hale Dil Tujhko Sunata from Murder 2 (2011) – Music Composer: Harshit Saxena, Lyricist: Sayeed Quadri, Playback Singer: Harshit Saxena
Murder 2 – a sequel to Emraan’s first box office hit Murder was not successful as its prequel. However almost every song filmed on Emraan Hashmi and Jacqueline Fernandez remained in spotlight because of the sizzling chemistry between the two, as well as the hot scenes. A finalist in music reality shows such as Amul Star Voice of India, Jo Jeeta Wohi Super Star, and Music ka Maha Muqqabla, Harshit Saxena won the Upcoming Music Composer Award in 2012 at Music Mirchi Awards 2012. However he faded from Bollywood film industry very soon.
22. Phir Mohabbat from Murder 2 (2011) – Music Composer: Mithoon, Lyricist: Sayeed Quadri, Playback Singers: Mohammad Irfan Ali, Arijit Singh & Saim Bhat
This sizzling song was also filmed on Emraan Hashmi and Jacqueline Fernandez, and one of the top songs of the album. Though Jacqueline Fernandez was a part of almost every hit song of the album, she shared little screen space with Emraan in the film. Aa Zara sung by Sunidhi Chauhan was one among the top three songs of the album filmed on this hot pair. I excluded this song from the list only because it is a female solo.
23. Ishq Sufiana from The Dirty Picture (2011) – Music Composer: Vishal-Shekhar, Lyricist: Rajat Arora, Playback Singer: Kamal Khan
This romantic track was filmed on Vidya Balan and Emraan Hashmi, who played one among her three lovers in the movie. This song had a female version too, sung by Sunidhi Chauhan.
24. Deewana Kar Raha Hai from Raaz 3D (2012) – Music Composer: Rashid Khan, Lyricist: Devendra Singh, Playback Singer: Javed Ali
This romantic track was filmed on Emraan Hashmi and Esha Gupta. Bipasha Basu played a rare negative role in the movie.
25. Tu Hi Mera from Jannat 2 (2012) – Music Composer: Pritam, Lyricist: Sayeed Quadri, Playback Singer: Shafqat Amanat Ali
Sequel of Jannat, Jannat 2 was also a box office hit, and it shared a similar story thread. This song in a happy mood definitely has some positive vibes enough to lift the mood of the listener. Esha Gupta was paired with Emraan Hashmi for two movies in year 2012, and both proved to be commercial hits. The two were also featured in an extremely popular single, Main Rahoon Ya Na Rahoon in 2015. This hot pair later shared screen space in Baadshaho, which too was a box office hit. Definitely Esha Gupta is the most successful co-star of our hero.
26. Jo Bheji Thi Duaa from Shanghai (2012) – Music Composer: Vishal-Shekhar, Lyricist: Kumaar, Playback Singers: Arijit Singh, Nandini Srikar and Shekhar Ravjiani
This sad song filmed on Emraan Hashmi, Abhay Deol and Kalki Koechlin is still extremely popular among music lovers. This song doesn’t belong to romantic genre like other Emraan hit tracks, yet so special. Arjit Singh received Mirchi Music Award for Upcoming Male Vocalist of The Year. Who imagined then, he is to fully dominate Bollywood music scene later!
27. Hamari Adhuri Kahani from Hamari Adhuri Kahani (2015) – Music Composer: Jeet Gannguli, Lyricist: Rashmi Virag, Playback Singer: Arjit Singh
After the success of The Dirty Picture, Vidya Balan was paired with Hashmi for the second time for Hamari Adhuri Kahani. Though the movie was not a commercial hit, it received praises from critics. Most of the songs of the movie were soft melodies with shades of sorrows, and the movie too had a tragic end. Hasi Ban Gaye is yet another popular song filmed on the lead pair with both male and female solo versions.
28. Yaad Hai Na from Raaz Reboot (2016) – Music Composer: Jeet Gannguli, Lyricist: Kausar Munir, Playback Singer: Arijit Singh
Film may be flop or hits, songs of Emraan Hashmi’s movies will always be noticed. Music of this sequel was given by Jeet Gannguli, and this particular track (Woh Mere Aana Pe Khil Jaana Tere) was sung by Arijit Singh. Kriti Kharbanda appears aside Emraan Hashmi in this song where lust overpowers all human emotions.
29. Bol Do Na Zara from Azhar (2016) – Music Composer: Amaal Mallik, Lyricist: Rashmi Virag, Playback Singer: Amaal Mallik
One of the soft tracks of this biopic film, music was composed by Amaal Mallik who sang the song as well. Lyrics were written by Rashmi Virag and the song featured Emraan Hashmi and Nargis Fakhri.
30. Kehdo Tumhe from Baadshaho (2017) – Music Composer: R. D. Burman/ Tanishk Bagchi, Lyricist: Sahir Ludhianvi/ Manoj Muntashir, Playback Singers: Jubin Nautiyal and Neeti Mohan
The original classic song composed by R. D. Burman belonged to 1975 blockbuster Deewar featuring Shashi Kapoor and Neethu Singh. The new version from the movie, Baadshaho was added by composer Tanishk Bagchi, who has recreated many popular tunes of yesterday like Tamma Tamma, Humma Humma, Mere Rashke Qamar etc. Original version of the song was sung by Kishore Kumar and Asha Bhosle, and new version by Jubin Nautiyal and Neeti Mohan.
Manoj Muntashir added some extra lyrics to the song originally written by great Sahir Ludhianvi. The song was filmed on Esha Gupta who has delivered two hits with Emraan Hashmi earlier. Interestingly their third association Baadshaho too was a hit. Asha Bhosle’s original rendering was also included in the promotional version.
Here we come to an end of the list of top songs filmed on Emraan Hashmi. A few more hit Bollywood songs featuring Emraan Hashmi include – Saari Raat Teri Yaad from Footpath (2003), Mohabbat Ke Guzarish from Aksar (2006), Woh Ajnabee and Beete Lamhe from The Train (2007), Tere Bin from Dil Toh Baccha Hai Ji (2011), Dil Mein Ho Tum from Why Cheat India (2019) etc.