Chemmeen Thakkoli (Prawns Thakkoli)
Chemmeen Thakkoli is a traditional dish, which looks very similar to Chicken Pidi, where chicken is cooked and steamed rice balls are added to it, making it a delicious main course recipe. In other terms, Chemmeen Thakkoli can be called as Chemmeen Pidi too.
Ingredients for Chemmeen Thakkoli (Prawns Thakkoli):
1. Oil – 4 big spoons
2. Onions – 2, chopped fine
3. Ginger, garlic, green chillies crushed together – 1 big spoon
4. Prawns -1 kg, cleaned
Coriander powder, turmeric powder, garam masala – 1 small spoon each
Salt – For taste
Water – 1 cup
5. Water – 2 cups
6. Coconut – 1, scrapped
7. Shallots – 4, chopped
Rice flour – ½ kg
Salt – For taste
8. Onions – 1, chopped
Shallots – 3, chopped
Curry leaves – 1 stem
9. Coriander leaves and curry leaves – To decorate
How to prepare Chemmeen Thakkoli (Prawns Thakkoli)?
1. Heat 2 big spoons of oil in a pan and sauté onions.
2. Add the crushed ingredients and sauté again.
3. Add ingredients no: 4 and cook till prawns are well cooked.
4. Boil 2 cups of water and add half quantity of scrapped coconut along with ingredients no: 7.
5. Mix the contents well and make balls similar size of prawns.
6. Using a steamer, steam it for a few minutes.
7. Fry the remaining scrapped paste and make a smooth paste.
8. Heat the remaining oil in a thick bottomed pan, and sauté ingredients no: 8.
9. Add coconut paste along with 2 cups of water.
10. When it boils, add prawns and flour balls. Check salt.
11. When your Prawns Thakkoli turns thick, add coriander leaves and curry leaves and put off the flame.
Courtesy: Vanitha Magazine July 23 – August 5, 2022
Also read a few more prawn snack recipes. Click on the images in the gallery to read.