Ingredients for Black Halwa:
1. Maida – ½ kg
2. Water – As needed
3. Jaggery – 2 kgs
4. Coconut – 3
5. Ghee – 350 gm
6. Cashews broken – 200 gm
7. Cardamom powder – 1 big spoon
How to prepare Black Halwa?
1. Knead dough using maida, similar to chapati and allow it to rest for 1 hour.
2. Add approximately 3 litres of water little by little to this dough and mix well using hands.
3. When it’s well mixed and turns like milk, allow it to rest for a while.
4. Add water again and strain it to a container.
5. Repeat it for a few times and remove the extract.
6. Allow this solution to rest for 1 hour.
7. Remove the excess water and use the remaining portion for preparation of halwa.
8. Melt jaggery in 1.5 litres of water, and strain it to remove dirt.
9. Extract 1.5 litres of milk from coconut.
10. Mix maida solution, jaggery solution and coconut milk together in a urli or thick bottomed pan.
11. In high flame, boil the contents and keep stirring to avoid formation of lumps.
12. To avoid sticking to bottom, pour ghee little by little.
13. When it almost turns halwa, add cashews.
14. When you take halwa in spoon, it should roll ball-like.
15. Add cardamom powder and put off the flame.
16. Grease a plate using ghee and transfer hot halwa to it.
17. Spread it uniformly and spread a little more cashews.
18. Allow your halwa to cool, and then cut into pieces.
Tip: If you want to add more black colour to your halwa, you can caramelize 50 gm sugar
Courtesy: Vanitha Magazine May 14-27, 2022
Also read a few more halwa recipes. Click on the images in the gallery to read.