Raw Banana Podimas (Vazhakka Podimas)
Ingredients for Raw Banana Podimas (Vazhakka Podimas):
1. Monthan kaaya (Raw banana) – 3
2. Asafoetida powder, salt and curry leaves – As needed
3. Ginger – 1 piece, chopped
4. Green chillies – 3, chopped
5. Red chillies – 1, broken
6. Lemon – 1, small
7. Coconut oil – 5 tsp
8. Coconut, big – ½
9. Mustard and urud dal – For tempering
How to prepare Raw Banana Podimas (Vazhakka Podimas)?
1. Remove skin of banana and cut into two halves.
2. Cook it adding water. Never overcook it.
3. Heat oil in a pan, and add mustard and urud dal.
4. Add red chilli and fry it.
5. Add banana, asafoetida powder, salt and chopped curry leaves.
6. Finally add green chillies and ginger.
7. Mix it well and put off the flame.
8. Add lemon juice and serve.
Note: You can also steam cook banana. Once done, grate it for use.
Courtesy: Vanitha Magazine February 1-14, 2010
Also read a few banana side recipes. Click on the images in the gallery to read.