Rosshan Andrrews – Ace filmmaker of present generation Malayalam cinema
Rosshan Andrrews is one of the most leading and elite filmmakers of present day Mollywood. He marked his debut as a director with 2005 Malayalam blockbuster, Udayananu Tharam starring Mohanlal and Meena and went on to establish as one of the most popular filmmakers of next 15 years who redefined Malayalam cinema. Known for his frequent association with screenwriter duo Bobby-Sanjay, they together delivered box office hits – Notebook, Mumbai Police, How Old Are You?, 36 Vayathinile and Kayamkulam Kochunni. Evidam Swargamanu and Prathi Poovankozhi are a few more noted movies with other screenwriters.
He started his film journey as an assistant director in the 1990s at the age of 22
Rosshan Andrrews, also known as Roshan Andrews hails from Ernakulam. He was born in 1975. His schooling was completed in Thrissur, and he graduated from Ernakulam. He joined film industry as an assistant director in 1997 and used the professional name ‘Roshan’ those days. Hitler Brothers in 1997 was his first stint in Malayalam cinema, followed by Mohanlal starrer blockbusters – Ayal Kadha Ezhuthukayanu and Narasimham. Later he worked with the actor in many movies, including his debut film, Udayananu Tharam.
Udayananu Tharam marked his directorial debut in 2005
His debut movie, Udayananu Tharam starring Mohanlal, Meena and Sreenivasan established his career in Mollywood. He directed only 10 movies in the past 15 years, and is known for making quality films. After the success of Udayananu Tharam, he struck gold with Notebook (2006) and Evidam Swargamanu (2009). His 2013 thriller Mumbai Police broke all stereotypes of heroes of Malayalam cinema.
He faced a lot of problems from the industry to bring Manju Warrier back to silver screen through How Old Are You? In 2015 he marked his Tamil debut with 36 Vayadhinile, remake of same film. The movie was an inspiration to many women, who lost themselves in the welfare of family, and it gave them courage to rediscover themselves; age is not at all a criteria. In 2019 he made his acting debut through Prathi Poovankozhi. He played the antagonist, a local goon in the movie, and his acting skills were well appreciated. He has also appeared a celebrity judge for a couple of reality shows on television.
He joins the list of elite filmmakers of Malayalam cinema.
Each and every Roshan movie has a refreshing theme, and he never tags himself to a particular genre of filmmaking. Many of his movies have given clear social messages. Evidam Swargamanu and How Old Are You? belong to this category, which supported traditional organic farming. His recent flick Prathi Poovankozhi starring Manju Warrier gives a clear message against eve teasing. Nivin Pauley starrer Kayamkulam Kochunni was one of the most expensive projects of Malayalam cinema. DQ starrer Salute (2022) was also well-received. He has co-written many of his scripts such as Udayananu Tharam, Casanovva and How Old Are You? School Bus, Saturday Nights and Casanovva are the only flops of his 15-year old career. Now he is gearing up for his Hindi debut with an untitled film, with Shahid Kapoor in lead role.
Rosshan Andrrews – Some interesting and less-known facts
1. During his college days, he has acted in plays and has won best actor award. He was also interested in mimicry those days.
2. In 2005 he received Kerala State Film Award for Best Debut Director for his debut film, Udayananu Tharam, and the following year he received multiple awards for Notebook including Kerala State Film Award for Second Best Film, Filmfare Award for Best Director and many other honours.
3. He gave early break to Parvathy Thiruvothu as a teenager through Notebook in 2006, and she went on to establish as one of the leading faces of Malayalam generation. Notebook was only her second movie.
4. He became instrumental in celebrating the comeback of two great and most influential actresses of south Indian cinema – Manju Warrier and Jyothika through How Old Are You? (2014) and its remake 36 Vayadhinile (2015) respectively. Needless to say, both movies marked powerful comeback of the female superstars.
5. Though Kunchakko Boban and Manju Warrier remained the top young stars of late 1990s, they never worked together back then. Strange, but true! It happened only in 2014 through How Old Are You?
6. He worked as an assistant director under director Kamal in the 1990s, and also made a cameo appearance in his movie, Pacha Kuthira (2006) as himself.
7. Climax of his debut movie, Udayananu Tharam was highly inspired from American comedy film “Bowfinger” released in 1999. The movie was later remade to Tamil as Velli Thirai starring Prithviraj and to Bollywood as Shortkut starring Akshaye Khanna.
8. He worked with screenwriter James Albert for a single movie throughout his career – Evidam Swargamanu starring Mohanlal and the movie was a box office hit. After Udayananu Tharam, Mohanlal and Sreenivasan worked as arch rivals for this flick too.
9. He worked with Mohanlal for super hits – Udayananu Tharam and Evidam Swargamanu, and box office disaster Casanovva. Mohanlal made a cameo appearance in his hit movie, Kayamkulam Kochunni in 2018.
10. Manju Warrier’s father made a cameo appearance in Rosshan’s movie, Evidam Swargamanu, where Mohanlal goes to see a girl for a marriage alliance.
11. He has faced a lot of financial issues during his teens. He was only 18 when he lost his ancestral home due to non-payment of bank loan.
12. He owns a special corner in the upstairs of his home, which he uses for writing. Three lakes are visible from there. An addict to films, he owns a library of books related to movies and a collection of 15,000 movies – both Indian and international.
13. He faced a ban from Film Producers Association in March 2019 after he, along with 15 goons trespassed into the residence of producer Allwyn Antony at midnight and attached he and his family. However the director rejected the allegations.
14. Leading screenwriter siblings, Bobby-Sanjay have frequently collaborated with the director, right from his debut movie, Notebook in 2006. Mumbai Police, How Old Are You, Kayamkulam Kochunni, School Bus, Salute and Casanovva are their collaborations later.