Mutton Dum Biryani
Ingredients for Mutton Dum Biryani:
1. Mutton – 1 kg
2. Oil – As required
3. Onions – 4, chopped
Ginger-garlic paste – 2 big spoons
Green chillies – 15, chopped
4. Tomato – 2, chopped
Coriander leaves – A handful, chopped
5. Garam masala powder – 2 small spoons
Salt – For taste
6. Kaima rice (Small type rice used for biryani) – 1 kg
7. Oil – 2 big spoons
Ghee – 2 big spoons
8. Onions – 1, sliced thin
9. Coriander leaves – A handful
How to prepare Mutton Dum Biryani?
1. Clean mutton and cut into pieces.
2. Heat oil and sauté onions and ginger-garlic paste.
3. Add tomatoes and coriander leaves and sauté again.
4. Add garam masala powder and salt and mix well.
5. Sauté the contents, add mutton and cook till it is done.
6. Wash rice and strain excess water.
7. Boil water in the ratio, 1 ¾ cup of water for 1 cup rice.
8. Heat oil and ghee and fry onions till they turn brown.
9. Remove it from oil and mix it with coriander leaves.
10. In the remaining oil, add rice and fry for a while.
11. Add the boiled water (already measured) along with salt and cook rice.
12. Water content should be fully absorbed.
13. In a thick bottomed urli, apply a thin layer of ghee.
14. Sprinkle 1/3rd of fried onion-coriander leaf mixture, followed by mutton masala.
15. Add half of remaining fried onion-coriander leaf mixture and spread rice on top.
16. Sprinkle remaining fried onion-coriander leaf mixture, and tightly close the lid.
17. Place this urli on a tawa and cook in low flame for 10 minutes.
18. Switch off the flame and allow it to dum for a few more minutes.
19. Serve hot with raita, pappadam and pickle of your choice.
Courtesy: Vanitha Magazine July 9-22, 2022
Also read a few more biryani recipes. Click on the images in the gallery to read.