Kozhipidi Curry (Chicken Pidi Curry)
Ingredients for Kozhipidi Curry (Chicken Pidi Curry):
1. Water – 50 milli
Salt – As required
Cumin seeds – 1 small spoon
Shallots – 10 gm, crushed
Coconut scrapped – 2 small spoons
2. Rice flour – 100 gm
For Chicken Gravy:
3. Coconut oil – 2 small spoons
4. Shallots – 20 gm
5. Curry leaves – 3-4 stalks
Fennel seeds – 1 small spoon
6. Chilli powder – 1 small spoon
Coriander powder – 1 small spoon
7. Chicken – 200 gm, cut into medium pieces
Ginger-garlic paste – 2 small spoons
Turmeric powder – 1 small spoon
Onions – 50 gms chopped
Salt – For taste
8. Coconut oil – 3 big spoons
9. Shallots – 3, chopped
Curry leaves – 2 stalks
10. Coconut milk – 20 milli
How to prepare Kozhipidi Curry (Chicken Pidi Curry)?
1. To prepare Pidi, boil ingredients no: 1 in a pan.
2. Add rice flour little by little and mix well.
3. Put off the flame.
4. When the contents cool, mix it well and prepare dough similar to Idiyappam’s.
5. Grease your hands with oil and make small balls.
6. Gently press at the centre and make it a good shape.
7. Continue the process for remaining flour also.
8. Steam cook the balls for 10-15 minutes. Pidi is ready.
9. To prepare chicken gravy heat oil in a pan first.
10. Add shallots, curry leaves and fennel seeds and sauté till contents turn golden brown.
11. Put off the flame and add chilli powder and coriander powder.
12. Mix the contents well, allow to cool and then make a fine paste.
13. Cook ingredients no: 7 in a pressure cooker adding sufficient water.
14. Add grinded masala to cooked chicken and boil the contents in medium flame.
15. Heat oil in a pan and sauté shallots and curry leaves.
16. When shallots turn brown add cooked chicken and cook for 2-3 minutes.
17. Add cooked Pidi (rice balls) to it and cook in low flame for 4-5 minutes.
18. When Pidi is fully wrapped with gravy, add coconut milk and mix well.
19. Put off the flame.
Courtesy: Vanitha Magazine February 1-14, 2019
Read a few more chicken curry/side dish recipes. Here is the page link. Click on the images in the gallery to read.