Chena Ulli Theeyal (Elephant Yam – Shallots Theeyal)
Ingredients for Chena Ulli Theeyal (Elephant Yam – Shallots Theeyal):
1. Coconut – 1, scrapped
Red chillies – 50 gm
Coriander seeds – 50 gm
2. Coconut oil – 20 milli
3. Ginger chopped fine – 2 small spoons
Garlic chopped fine – 2 small spoons
Green chillies chopped fine – 1 small spoon
4. Shallots – 100 gm, each split into two
Elephant yam – 100 gm, cut into pieces
5. Turmeric powder – 1 small spoon
6. Tamarind – 10 gm, juice extracted
Salt – For taste
How to prepare Chena Ulli Theeyal (Elephant Yam – Shallots Theeyal)?
1. Fry ingredients no: 1 in a thick bottomed pan without adding oil.
2. When it turns brown reduce the flame and continue frying till it turns crispy.
3. Remove red chillies and make a fine paste of coconut.
4. Make a fine paste of fried chillies separately.
5. Heat oil in a pan and sauté ingredients no: 3.
6. Add shallots and yam to it and sauté again.
7. When water starts coming out, add turmeric powder.
8. Add chilli paste, tamarind juice and salt and cook the contents.
9. When it’s done, add coconut gravy and bring the curry to boil.
10. When curry thickens, add salt (if needed) and take off from the flame.
Courtesy: Vanitha Magazine February 1-14, 2019
Read a few more vegetarian curry recipes here: