Unnimaya Prasad – The lady DCP in 2020 Malayalam investigation thriller ‘Anjaam Pathiraa’
Unnimaya Prasad is a film actress, casting director and assistant director associated with Malayalam cinema. As a character artist she is best known for her roles in Varathan (2018), Oru Kuprasidha Payyan (2018), Virus (2019), Anjaam Pathiraa (2020) and Joji (2021). She was also seen in Maheshinte Prathikaram, Parava, French Viplavam etc. After playing small roles in a few movies in the past few years, she played a noted full-length role of Deputy Commissioner in ‘Anjaam Pathiraa’ (2020) co-staring Kunchakko Boban. The movie opened to positive reviews, and Unnimaya Prasad as female lead received rave reviews for her rough and tough role as a cop. She is married to acclaimed screenwriter of Malayalam cinema right now, Syam Pushkaran.
Unnimaya Prasad was born in Palluruthi, Kochi, Kerala. She grew up in Kochi till the age of 17, after which she shifted to the capital city where she studied Bachelor of Architecture at college of Engineering, Thiruvananthapuram. Later she continued her studies at Manipal Institue of Technology, Manipal. She married National award winning screenwriter Syam Pushkaran in 2012, and her entry to films happened only after that.
Unnimaya made her acting debut with the anthology film ‘Anju Sundarikal’, where she was seen in the segment ‘Sethulakshmi’. She also worked as an assistant director for this segment. It was followed by the character of Sara in ‘Maheshinte Prathikaaram’, scripted by her husband. The role got noticed. From there on she started accepting character roles. In 2020 she got her big break through the investigation thriller, ‘Anjaam Pathiraa’, the first major hit of the year. She played the female lead DCP Catherine Maria in the movie. Later she shared screen space with Fahadh Faasil in Trance and Joji. She played female lead in Joji, and her role was well appreciated. She has been a part of acclaimed films such as Pada, Nna Thaan Case Kodu, Paltu Janwar etc.
Unnimaya Prasad – Some interesting and less-known facts
1. Her husband Syam Pushkaran scripted some of the best scripts and trendsetters in the recent times. Maheshinte Prathikaaram (2016), Mayaanadhi (2017), and Kumbalangi Nights (2019) are among those. He also wrote the dialogues for Thondimuthalum Driksakshiyum.
2. She worked as an assistant director in Mayaanadhi and Kumbalangi Nights and casting director in Maheshinte Prathikaram, Thondimuthalum Drikshakshiyum and 5 Sundarikal, all scripted by her husband.
3. She played the role of an encouraging teacher in Parava, and an NRI wife in Maheshinte Prathikaaram. Both these roles got noticed.
4. She appears in a single scene as Dileesh Pothan’s wife in Maheshinte Prathikaram, and got noticed. This particular scene also received numerous trolls then, and she became a star of trolls.
5. After completing her B. Tech studies in CET, she worked in Ooty, Manipal University and Palakkad Architectural College as a teacher for a while.
6. Apart from her film journey she is also an architect by profession, and currently works for Pramod Parthan’s Sankalp Architects.