Recalling 20 of the best Bollywood songs of Ravi and Mohammed Rafi Combination
Ravi Shankar Sharma, best known as Ravi to Hindi music fans and Bombay Ravi to Malayalam music fans was one of the best and talented musicians of golden era of Hindi music, especially in the 1960s. In his second innings which started in the mid-1980s, he gave some evergreen songs to Malayalam films also. Very often I feel that his music is quite similar to the likes of Naushad and Roshan who have recorded countless classical music based songs for Mohammed Rafi. Why not I say so? The trio represented the classic music of golden era of Hindi music.
Ravi also gave almost equal opportunity to Mahendra Kapoor. I shall spare that discussion for another day. Just like Naushad-Rafi combo and Roshan-Rafi combo, Ravi-Rafi combo too gave countless songs to Bollywood fans during 1950s-1970s. He composed numerous songs for Sunil Dutt, and recorded them in the voices of both Rafi and Mahendra Kapoor. He also composed tunes for Rajendra Kumar films, and actresses like Meena Kumari and Mala Sinha have been associated with many of these projects. In this topic, I shall concentrate on the best ever songs of Mohammed Rafi composed by Ravi. Here I list 20 best of them.
1. Title track of Chaudhvin Ka Chand (1960) (Lyricist: Shakeel Badayuni)
I shall begin the list with this iconic song, which established Ravi’s career in Bollywood. Though he has been associated with Bollywood cinema since mid-1950s, he rose to the league of A-grade composers with this particular album. Out of 10 tracks of the album, Rafi sang 5 of them, and the most popular one is the title track, for which both Rafi and Shakeel Badayuni earned their maiden Filmfare awards. Ravi also received his first Filmfare nomination for the same. The song filmed on Guru Dutt and Waheeda Rahman is widely considered as one of the top romantic tracks of Rafi. This song was filmed in colour, while the rest of the film is Black & White. Through this song, the hero describes the beauty of his lover, and compares her to full moon.
2. Jaane Bahaar Husn Tera Bemisaal Hai from Pyaar Kiya To Darna Kya (1963) (Lyricist: Shakeel Badayuni)
Ravi composed music for Shammi Kapoor films such as China Town and Pyaar Kiya To Darna Kya. What an amazing song ‘Jaane Bahaar Husn Tera Bemisaal Hai’ is, and what a beautiful rendering it is. South Indian top actress B. Saroja Devi played female lead in this movie, and was featured in this song aside Shammi Kapoor.
3. Yeh Khamoshiya Yeh Tanhaayiya from Yeh Rastey Hain Pyar Ke (1963) (Lyricist: Rajinder Krishan)
This romantic song was filmed on Sunil Dutt and Leela Naidu. It’s a romantic duet of Rafi with Asha Bhosle. Ravi gave life to numerous songs of Sunil Dutt in the 1960s which include his major hits like Yeh Rastey Hain Pyar Ke, Gumrah, Humraaz, Waqt etc.
4. Mujhe Pyar Ke Zindagi Denewale from Pyar Ke Sagar (1961) (Lyricist: Prem Dhawan)
It’s one of the finest songs of Prem Dhawan as a lyricist, who was quite active in Bollywood in the 1950s and early 1960s. A multi-facet personality, he was also a music composer and a choreographer. It was a duet of Mohammad Rafi and Asha Bhosle, filmed on Rajendra Kumar and Meena Kumari, who did several films together in the 1950s and 1960s. The tune was later reused by Ravi for one Malayalam film titled Ghazal, released in 1993, recorded in the voices of K. J. Yesudas and K. S. Chithra. The popular song was “Isal Thenkanam“, filmed on Mohini and Vineeth. His works in Malayalam movies are credited as ‘Bombay Ravi’.
5. Aa Lag Ja Gale Dilruba from Dus Lakh (1966) (Lyricist: Prem Dhawan)
One more popular song of Ravi-Prem Dhawan combination, this Rafi solo was filmed on Sanjay Khan and Babita Kapoor. The movie also included a popular duet/solo of Rafi and Asha Bhosle, Garibo Kee Suno Woh Tumharee Sunega, which helped Asha to bag her first Filmfare award for best playback singer.
6. Na Chadko Zulf Se Pani from Shehnai (1963) (Lyricist: Rajinder Krishan)
The song was filmed on one of the top screen pairs of 1960s – Biswajeet and Rajshree, and is best remembered for its lyrics as well as rendition of Rafi. The movie included a total of 7 songs with 5 Rafi tracks. Two of them were Asha Bhosle solos while “Sadiyon Purani Apni Kahani” is a duet of Rafi and Asha. The rest are Rafi solos.
7. Tumhari Nazar Kyon Hafa from Do Kaliyaan (1968) (Lyricist: Sahir Ludhianvi)
The movie was one of the biggest hits of Biswajit’s career. Music composed by Ravi too was extremely popular. Sahir Ludhianvi penned the lyrics of all its song, and this particular song was filmed on Mala Sinha and Biswajit. Lata Mangeshkar rendered her voice for Mala Sinha.
8. Tumhe Pake Hamne Jahan Pa Liya Ha from Gehra Daag (1963) (Lyricist: Shakeel Badayuni)
This romantic track was filmed on Mala Sinha and Rajendra Kumar, who remained one of the top pairs since late 1950s. It’s a romantic duet of Asha Bhosle and Mohammed Rafi, and the most popular song of the album.
9. Husn Se Chand Bhi Sharmaya Hai from Door Ki Awaaz (1964) (Lyricist: Shakeel Badayuni)
It’s a Rafi solo featuring the lead pair, Joy Mukherjee and Saira Banu, and the hero compares the beauty of his wife with the moon in this particular song.
10. Muqaddar Aajamaanaa Chaahataa Hoon from Door Ki Awaaz (1964) (Lyricist: Shakeel Badayuni)
The song was filmed on the cute pair of 1960s, Joy Mukherjee and Saira Banu, and is a Rafi solo. Ravi composed some of the finest songs for Door Ki Awaaz – Hum Bhi Agar Bachche Hote and Husn Se Chand Bhi Sharmaya Hai, among those.
11. Yeh Wadiyan Yeh Fazayen from Aaj Aur Kal (1963) (Lyricist: Sahir Ludhianvi)
Sunil Dutt plays Nanda’s doctor in the movie, and he cures paralyzed heroine in the song climax. The song was lovely filmed near a waterfall, and its beautiful surrounding. Though it is a black and white song, Mohammed Rafi’s expressive rendition is enough to take us to the beautiful location, and we surely enjoy it.
12. Ye Parda Hata Do from Ek Phool Do Mali (1969) (Prem Dhawan: Prem Dhawan)
One of my favourite duets of Rafi and Asha Bhosle belonging to the era of 1960s, this lovely song was filmed on Sadhana and Sanjay Khan. The movie was one among the 5-6 releases of Sadhana after she returned from US. She was taking treatment for thyroid related complications.
13. Ye Zulf Agar Khulke from Kaajal (1965) (Lyricist: Sahir Ludhianvi)
Kaajal is regarded as one of the finest works of Ravi’s career. Asha Bhosle’s voice was used to record all songs of Meena Kumari, while Rafi’s voice was used for Raaj Kumar. Ye Zulf Agar Khulke from Kaajal is a Mujra filmed on Raaj Kumar and Helen. Raaj Kumar played a highly alcoholic person in the movie.
14. Sau Baar Janam from Ustadon Ke Ustad (1963) (Lyricist: Asad Bhopali)
The haunting melody is very close to my heart, and it always lists among my top 5 songs of Rafi. The black and white song was filmed on Pradeep Kumar and Shakila near waterfalls, and Rafi’s voice holds a mesmerizing and haunting beauty, definitely. I have heard its Tamil version too, in my teens. It’s the remake of this movie and was titled, Vallavanukku Vallavan, starring S. A. Ashokan. The song’s wording goes like this – “Or Aayiram Paarvaiyile“, and it was sung by T. M. Soundararajan.
15. Sajana Sath Nibhana from Doli (1969) (Lyricist: Rajinder Krishan)
It’s duet of Rafi and Asha Bhosle filmed on Babita, Prem Chopra and Rajesh Khanna. One of the rare occasions where a romantic song was filmed on Prem Chopra, we can see Babita trying to make Rajesh Khanna jealous, by showing false love towards Prem Chopra, because he has already rejected her soon after marriage without seeing her face.
16. Aaja Tujhko Mera Pyar Pukare from Neel Kamal (1968) (Lyricist: Sahir Ludhianvi)
The song can deeply disturb us whenever we watch and it depicts cruel punishment of kings prevailed in ancient days, where the convict is buried alive in a newly constructed tomb. This Rafi solo is really heart breaking and was filmed on Raaj Kumar and Waheeda Rehman. The movie also included yet another sad and touching song of Rafi, Babul Ki Duaein – a father’s words at the time of ‘Bidai’ (sending daughter to husband’s house soon after marriage).
17. Bhari Duniya Mein Aakhir Dil Ko Samjhane Kahan Jayen from Do Badan (1966) (Lyricist: Shakeel Badayuni)
This sad solo of Rafi was filmed on Manoj Kumar and Asha Parekh. Manoj Kumar is seen playing piano in a private party with audience. It’s one of the rare romantic roles of Manoj Kumar and was a box office hit. After this movie, he departed from romance and family dramas, and produced, starred and directed numerous patriotic movies in a row. The movie included some of evergreen female duets like Jab Chali Thandi Hawa, Lo Aa Gayi Unki Yaad etc, apart from three more Rafi solos. Ravi received Filmfare nomination for best music director, and the album included only solo songs.
18. Bar Bar Dekho from China Town (1962) (Lyricist: Majrooh Sultanpuri)
Bar Bar Dekho filmed on Shammi Kapoor and Shakila is loved till date, and one of the rare super hit songs of Ravi for Shammi Kapoor. The actor is seen in his signature fun mood and that’s what we love him for.
19. Door Rehkar Na Karo Baat Qareeb Aajao from Amaanat (1977) (Lyricist: Sahir Ludhianvi)
It’s one of the last but popular songs composed by Ravi in the 1970s. In the 1980s he composed memorable songs for Nikaah and Tawaif and a few more films before he completely switched to Malayalam films. In his second innings as Bombay Ravi, he gave some evergreen classic hits to Malayalam cinema, even bagged a National award in 1995. Door Rehkar Na Karo Baat Qareeb Aajao was filmed on Manoj Kumar and Sadhana, and definitely the last but popular romantic song filmed on both. It was after a long time we watched them romancing on screen through iconic – Lag Jaa Gale song in the 1960s. “Matlab Nikal Gaya to Pehchante Nahin” and “Teri Jawani Tapta Mahina” are other Rafi solos from the album.
20. Aaj Mere Yaar Ki Shaadi Hai from Aadmi Sadak Ka (1977) (Lyricist: Verma Malik)
Let me conclude the list with this popular wedding song, filmed on Shatrughan Sinha, Devan Varma and Vikram, the groom. This iconic song is played at wedding functions for the past four decades or so, and still fresh and popular. We should not forget Verma Malik’s magical lyrics which played a magnificent role in making this song such a huge hit.
A few more popular songs of Mohammed Rafi-Ravi combination
1. Husnwala Tera Jawab Nahi from Gharana
2. Raha Gardishon Mein Hardam Mere Ishq Ka Sitara from Do Badan
3. Jab Se Tumhe Dekha Hai from Gharana
4. O Nanhe Se Farishte from Ek Phool Do Mali
5. Mujhe Gale Se Laga Lo from Aaj Aur Kal
6. Yeh Jhuke Jhuke Naina from Bharosa
7. Hum Bhi Agar Bachche Hote, Happy Birthday To You from Door Ki Awaaz
8. Neel Gagan Par Udte Badal from Khandan
9. Chhoo Lene Do Naazuk Hothon Ko from Kaajal
10. Garibo Kee Suno Woh Tumharee Sunega from Dus Lakh
11. Yeh Sama Yeh Rut Yeh Nazaren from Do Kaliyan
12. Mil Le Mujhe Chhu Nahin Waise from Paisa Ya Pyar
13. Baabul Ki Duaayein Leti Jaa from Neel Kamal
Also go through the gallery to read a few more articles about Rafi. Here is the page link. Click on the images to read.