Top 25 Bollywood Hit Songs of Biswajit Chatterjee
Biswajit Chatterjee, best known as Biswajit in Hindi movies in the era of 1960s; he was already an established actor in Bengali cinema, before he joined Hindi films in the year 1962. Biswajit may not be counted among the best performers of 1960s. He is still a favourite prey or victim for Bollywood critics and online reviewers who review Bollywood classics of 1960s. It was not different from the era when he was active in Hindi cinema. He was well known for his chocolate romantic image, though he portrayed different shades on screen. Yet we can’t deny the fact that he is always counted among the romantic heroes of 1960s, who remained successful and above all, he owns a huge bunch of hit Bollywood songs to his credit. Most of them are regarded as timeless classics or evergreen romantic songs. Read about his interesting facts here.
Yes, Biswajit Chatterjee is best known for his songs than his performance and movies, and in this case, all critics have same opinion – yes, Biswajit owns some of the beautiful songs of the era, the era of 1960s best known for its lovely music given by some great legends ever. Hemant Kumar, O. P. Nayyar, Shankar – Jaikishen, Ravi etc – there has been many composers who composed some beautiful songs which quite fills his romantic image. He was frequently paired with Mala Sinha, and his screen pairing with Asha Parekh, Rajashree, Waheeda Rehman and Babita was well appreciated by audience too. Obviously it gave some of the finest songs of the era. I often feel, he resembles his contemporary actor, Malayalam’s evergreen hero Prem Nazar in many angles, and also for the selection of roles and romantic songs.
In this column, I have listed 25 of the best songs of my choice, lip-synced by Biswajit, and listed a few more solos sung by female playback singers, but featuring him. Kahin Deep Jale Kahin Dil, Aao Huzoor Tum Ko, Yeh Hai Reshmi Zulfon Ka Andhera, Jaiye Aap Kahan Jayenge …. It may not be easy to list his best 25 songs. So I have made a separate list and placed it beneath. Scroll down to get it. Through this column I shall list some of the finest Bollywood songs featuring Biswajit. Hope you will love it.
1. Pukarta Chala Hoon Main from Mere Sanam (1965) – I would like to begin the list with my most favourite Hindi song featuring Biswajit. One of my most favourite Rafi songs always, it’s a teasing song featuring Biswajeet and Asha Parekh. I don’t know what the hidden beauty behind this Rafi song is; I want to hear it over again every time I listen to it. The lyrics were penned by lyricist Majrooh Sultanpuri, and the song composed by O. P. Nayyar. It’s the opening song of the movie. In the 1960s, it was a trend – the opening song was filmed in some moving vehicle, say a car, jeep or train, and in most cases, hero sings a solo number. If it’s not possible, such a song is fitted somewhere in the film. How many evergreen classics have been born this way! Countless. Also read: Top 20 songs of Nayyar – Rafi Combination.
2. Hue Hain Tumpe Aashiq Hum from Mere Sanam (1965) – All the songs of the movie are so beautiful that I want to include each and every song from the album. Needless to say, all the compositions are classy, and brings back many nostalgic moments which I experienced in my childhood days of 1980s, when Chitrahaar and Rangoli were the only two options to enjoy film songs those days. This Rafi solo was penned by Majrooh Sultanpuri and featured its lead pair.There is yet another teasing number sung by Mohd. Rafi featuring the lead pair, Biswajit and Asha Parekh. Nothing more to say, Humdum Mere Maan Bhi Jaao still looks nice to watch on television.
3. Bekarar Karke Hume from Bees Saal Baad (1962) – Biswajit marked his Bollywood debut with the suspense thriller, Bees Saal Baad. He worked with his co-star Waheeda Rehman for yet another suspense thriller, Kohra, and Hemant Kumar composed music for both these albums. Hemant da also became the ghost voice of all the songs filmed on Biswajit. Bekarar Karke Hume and Zara Nazron Se Kehdo Ji are two of the finest solos sung by Hemant Kumar for the album, and both the songs featured its lead pair. The movie also included three Lata Mangeshkar solos, of which “Kahin Deep Jale Kahin Dil” topped all music charts. Shakeel Badayuni penned lyrics for all its songs.
4. Yeh Nayan Dare Dare from Kohra (1964) – The song was filmed on Waheeda Rehman and Biswajit at the winding road to Mahabaleshwar, a hill station in Maharashtra. Their second movie together after Bees Saal Baad, both directed by Biren Nag, the movie was pretty OK, but best known for its lovely compositions by Hemant da. It’s one of the rare occasions when Kaifi Azmi penned lyrics or Biswajeet films. Biren Nag, who remained an art director earlier, couldn’t make a third film, as he passed away soon after the film was released, just like ‘mystery’ element of his both directorial ventures.
5. Rah Bani Khud Manzil from Kohra (1964) – The movie had 4 songs, two solos sung by Lata Mangeshkar and Hemant Kumar respectively. This solo track sung by Hemant Kumar was filmed on Waheeda Rehman and Biswajit, when the hero takes her to home soon after marriage.
6. Aa Gale Lag Jaa from April Fool (1964) – It was for the first time, all songs featuring Biswajeet in a single film were sung by Mohammed Rafi, and this melodious solo was extremely popular too. The enire song was shot in a swimming pool, and Saira Banu is seen flaunting in a yellow-gold bikini, not so regular in Bollywood movies of 1960s, and Biswajeet in an extremely romantic mood. While the rest of the songs were penned by Hasrat Jaipuri, this particular song was booked in the name of Shailendra; both are the hot favourites of its composer, Shankar Jaikishen. The title track sung by Rafi too is a popular number, fitting into any joyful mood.
7. Tujhe Pyaar Karte Hain from April Fool (1964) – The female voice of this romantic song is very often mistaken to be that Lata Mangeshkar, and I too have done it many times before – I admit. What a lovely voice of Suman Kalyanpur! Just perfect and flawless for a romantic track of 1960s! She sang this duet aside Rafi, and the song featured Biswajeet and Saira Banu. Kah Do Jahaan Se Kehado, Ishq Par Zor Nahi – is yet another duet sung by Rafi and Suman for the same album.
8. Tumhara Chahne Wala Khuda from Kahin Din Kahi Raat (1968) – The movie was not a big hit, yet this lovely song sung by Mahendra Kapoor is extremely melodious. The female voice is Asha Bhosle, and the composer is O. P. Nayyar. The beautiful actress in this song is Mallika. S. H. Bihari penned the lyrics.
9. Oh My Love (Nazar Na Lag Jaaye) from Night In London (1967) – Hemant da remained the voice of Biswajit during his early days in Bollywood, and most of the movies have been thrillers. After that, with mid-1960s when the romantic era of the actor began, voice of Mohammed Rafi became synchronous to his romantic image, and how many beautiful songs have been born in this combination! Needless to say, Rafi had a high-flying vocal innings for romantic hero Biswajeet, like he has been to Shammi Kapoor, Dilip Kumar, Dharmedra, Rajendra Kumar, Joy Mukherjee and Shashi Kapoor in the 1960s.
Songs of Night In London sung by Rafi boosted the career of Biswajeet, and it was one among those rare occasions when Laxmikant-Pyarelal composed songs for his movies. Oh My Love was the USP of the album, and the song featured Mala Sinha aside Biswajeet. Anand Bakshi penned lyrics for all its tracks.
10. Ba Hosh O Hawaas Main Deewana from Night In London (1967) – The song featuring Biswajeet is one among the three solos sung by Rafi in the album. The album included 7 songs and 5 of them belong to Rafi. The movie also included a very rare cabaret sung by Lata Mangeshkar for Helen, “Mera Naam Hai Jamila“.
11. Sun E Bahar E Husn from Night In London (1967) – Shot in the lovely foreign locations, the song was filmed on Mala Sinha and Biswajeet. It’s single song recorded in Mahendra Kapoor’s voice, and he sang this duet aside Lata Mangeshkar.
12. Phir Miloge Kabhi Is Baat Ka Vada Karlo from Yeh Raat Phir Na Aayegi (1966) – O. P. Nayyar – Biswajit combination gave some of the timeless classics like Mere Sanam, Yeh Raat Phir Na Aayegi and Kismat, and worked in favour of the actor as well as its composer. The movie featured two duets sung by Rafi and Asha, and this track deserves special mention. The song featuring its lead pair – Biswajit and Sharmila Tagore was penned by S. H. Bihari. The film was entirely shot in B & W film, yet looks lovely and classy.
13. Mera Pyar Woh Hain from Yeh Raat Phir na Aayegi (1966) – It’s the single solo male track of the album, and the song featured its lead pair, Biswajit and Sharmila Tagore. It’s indeed one of the career best romantic tracks sung by Mahendra Kapoor. S. H. Bihari penned lyrics for all its 8 tracks.
14. Tumhari Nazar Kyun Khafa from Do Kaliyaan (1968) – The movie was one of the biggest hits of Biswajit’s career. Music composed by Ravi too was extremely popular. Sahir Ludhianvi penned the lyrics of all its song, and this particular song was filmed on Mala Sinha and Biswajit. Mohammed Rafi & Lata Mangeshkar did playback singing.
15. Lakhon Hain Yahan Dilwale from Kismat (1968) – O. P. Nayyar was known for his ego problems, and he often discontinued work with that artist. During the song recording of Baharein Phir Bhi Aayegi, he had a clash with Rafi, and after that he gave many of his famous tunes to Mahendra Kapoor, who got benefited with it. Songs of Kismat can be tagged under this category. The song featuring Biswajeet is such a lovely song. The songs of Kismat fall in lines with the tunes of Mere Sanam composed by Nayyar, and both are timeless classics. S. H. Bihari penned lyrics of all its Hindi songs, except the very popular Aao Husur – yet another Bollywood classic featuring Biswajit.
16. Aankhon Mein Qayamat Ke Kajal from Kismat (1968) – Yet another popular romantic track sung by Mahendra Kapoor, the song featured its lead pair, Biswajeet and Babita.
17. Kajra Mohabbat Wala from Kismat (1968) – O. P. Nayyar-Shamshad Begum combination gave some of the best songs in the 1950s. The duet – Kajra Mohabbatwala sung by Asha Bhosle and Shamshad Begum also became extremely popular, and it’s the last song sung by Shamshad Begum in O. P. Nayyar’s composition. Biswajeet dressed up as a girl and Babita as a Pathan as a heroine and the song done after so many rehearsals, got noticed for its unique filming. The song brought some old memories of ‘Reshmi Salwar ‘ song from Naya Daur, which was also filmed in similar fashion. Quite co-incidence, Music composer and the playback singers remained the same.
Though the song was immensely popular, it was dragged into controversies as well. Biswajit quite comfortable in ‘romantic’ zone has rarely done masculine hero roles throughout his career, except a few thrillers during his early phase in Bollywood. The song worked a little too well for him, and the audience received it with wolf whistles, knowing very well that he was a man. A magazine even went on to publish a column that Biswajit could achieve success if he sticks to similar kind of roles. Later the actor filed a suit against the magazine as well.
18. Tera Husn Rahe Mera Ishq Rahe from Do Dil (1965) – It’s one of the rare occasions where Hemant Kumar recorded Biswajeet’s all songs of an album in Rafi’s voice. After his successful association with Kaifi Azmi for Kohraa, he gave all the seven songs to this Urdu poet as well. Tera Husn Rahe Mera Ishq Rahe, featuring Biswajit and Rajshree was the top song of the album. Biswajit’s screen pairing with Mala Sinha and Rajshree was quite popular in the 1960s.
19. Yeh Parbathon Ke Daayre from Vasana (1968) – No words to explain the beauty of this composition, its words or the voices behind the song which made it immortal! Biswajit played second lead in this film, and less-known actress, Kumud Chhugani is seen romancing him in this lovely song. Read more about this beautiful actress. Yeh Parbathon Ke Daayre is one of the finest songs sung by Rafi for Biswajit. Sahir Ludhianvi penned lyrics, and music was composed by Chitragupt.
20. Na Jhatko Zulf Se Pani from Shehnai (1964) – Yet another popular song of the same pair in the 1960s, the screen chemistry between Biswajit and Rajshree in this romantic track is really awesome. Rafi’s voice, Ravi’s music and Rajinder Krishan’s lyrics, this song can never miss our list.
21. Ek Baar Jara Phir Keh Do Tum from Bin Badal Barsaat (1963) – Hemant Kumar regularly composed songs for early releases of Biswajit and most of had a suspense element. The duet featuring Biswajit and Asha Parekh was sung by Hemant Kumar and Lata Mangeshkar. Shakeel Badayuni penned lyrics for all its songs.
22. Jab Jaag Ude Armaan from Bin Badal Barsaat (1963) – Yet another popular song from the album featuring the lead pair, this beautiful solo was sung by Hemant Kumar, who composed the song as well.
23. Mujhko Thand Lag Rahi Hai from Main Sundar Hoon (1971) – One of the rare occasions when Kishore Kumar sang for Biswajit, the female voice for Leena Chandavarkar was recorded by Asha Bhosle. Anand Bakshi wrote the lyrics and Shankar Jaikishan composed the tune.
24. Dil Ne Pyar Kiya Ek Bewafa Se from Shararat (1972) – The songs of Shararat, the last time Rafi’s voice was used for recording a song for Biswajit. In fact, by the beginning of 1970s, the romantic era of many lead actors of 1960s virtually ended, soon after Rajesh Khanna stormed into the scene. Same was the case of Rafi too, whose voice was synchronized with almost all romantic heroes of 1960s. Biswajit moved on with character roles later. Ganesh was the music composer of the album, and Hasrat Jaipuri penned its lyrics. Mumtaz was also seen in this sad song.
25. Kahin Karti Hogi Woh Mera Intezaar from Phir Kab Milogi (1974) – Let me end the list with one of the rare songs sung by Mukesh for Biswajit, the final antara was sung by Lata Mangeshkar, and filmed on Mala Sinha. R. D. Burman composed the song, and lyrics were authored by Majrooh Sultanpuri.
A few more memorable songs of Biswajit …..
1. Roka Kai Baar from Mere Sanam
2. Humdum Mere Maan Bhi Jaao from Mere Sanam
3. Tukde Hain Mere Dil Ke from Mere Sanam
4. Zara Nazaron Se Kah Do Ji from Bees Saal Baad
5. Meri Mohabbat Pak Mohabbat from April Fool
6. Kehdo Kehdo Jahan Se from April Fool
7. April Fool Banaya from April Fool
8. Kitni Jawa Hai Zindagi from Shehnai
9. Akela Hoon Mein Humsafar Dhoondta Hoon from Jaal
10. Aye Meri Zindagi Tu Nahi Ajnabi from Pyar Ka Sapna
Top chartbuster songs in female voice filmed on Biswajit aside his female lead
1. Jaiye Aap Kahan Jayenge from Mere Sanam
2. Yeh Hai Reshmi Zulfon Ka Andhera from Mere Sanam
3. Kahin Deep Jale Kahin from Bees Saal Baad
4. O Beqarar Dil from Kohra
5. Aao Huzoor Tum Ko from Kismat
6. Zindagi Kitni Khoobsurat Hai from Bin Badal Barsaat (had one hemant Kumar version too)
7. Yehi Woh Jagah Hai from Yeh Raat Phir Na Aayegi
8. Huzurevala Jo Ho Ijaazat To from Yeh Raat Phir Na Aayegi
9. Pyaasi Hirni Ban Ban Bhage Koii from Do Dil
10. Unki Pehli Nazar Kya Asar Kar Gayi from April Fool
Please go through the gallery to read about the best songs filmed on top Bollywood actors of golden era. Here is the page link. Click on the images to read.