Mutta Kappa (Tapioca with eggs) – Trademark dish of Angamali
Angamali is a place belonging to Thrissur district of Kerala, and there are a few trademark Angamali dishes. Known for several traditional and local dishes, they have some distinct pork and Chinese potato (Koorkka) dishes. In fact, they add any one of these to almost all their normal dishes. Pork & Koorkka, Sarlas, Pork and Raw banana, Chicken and colocasia etc are some of the common Angamali trademark dishes.
They prepare tapioca in their own style. Tapioca Ularthu (Kappa Ularthu) is quite common. Shallots and chillies are commonly used to make Kappa Ularthu. Often Ularthu is prepared adding meat or eggs fried. Nadan Kozhi with Chembu (locally available chicken with colocasia) and pork are other trademark dishes.
There is a special type of mango locally available in Mullasseri region. There is a special fish curry made using this mango. Also read: 100 varieties of local mangoes available in Kerala. This fish curry won’t get damaged easily and can be kept for many days. It’s prepared in thick gravy style. That’s why it can be kept for many days. Here I present Mutta Kappa and special tomato chutney. This tomato chutney is the best combo for Mutta Kappa.
Ingredients for Mutta Kappa (Tapioca with eggs):
1. Garlic – 3 cloves
Shallots – 3
Ginger – 1 small piece
Red chillies – As needed
2. Tapioca – ½ kg
Salt – As per taste
Turmeric powder – ¼ tsp
3. Coconut oil – 3 big spoons
4. Mustard – ½ small spoon
5. Onions – 2
Green chillies – 2
Curry leaves – 1 stalk
6. Eggs – 2
7. Pepper powder – ¼ tsp
8. Coconut oil – A little
How to prepare Mutta Kappa (Tapioca with eggs)?
1. Cut tapioca into square pieces, remove the fibres, and cook using salt and turmeric powder. Drain the excess water.
2. Crush ingredients no: 1.
3. Heat oil in a pan and add mustard seeds. When mustard seeds sputter, add the crushed mixture and ingredients no: 5 to it and sauté the contents.
4. When onions change the colour, add the cooked tapioca to it and mix well.
5. Add eggs, a little salt and pepper powder to it and mix well.
6. When eggs are done, add a little coconut oil (Pacha Velichenna) to it, mix well and serve hot.
How to prepare Special tomato chutney?
Saute onions first. Then add a little Kashmiri Chilli Powder along with tomatoes cut into fine pieces. When it’s cooked and mashed well, add salt. When tomato chutney cools off, add a little coconut oil (Pacha Velichenna) and serve with Mutta Kappa.
Courtesy: Vanitha Magazine, May 1-14, 2017
Click to read a few more delicious tapioca recipes here. Here is the page link. Click on the images in the gallery to read.