Meen Pathiri (Fish Pathiri)
Ingredients for Meen Pathiri (Fish Pathiri):
1. Fish (Avoli/Pomfret or Ayakoora/King fish) – 250 gm
2. Turmeric powder – ½ small spoon
Chilli powder – 1 small spoon
Salt – As required
3. Coconut scrapped – ½ cup
Shallots chopped – 3
Fennel powder – A pinch
4. Oil – For preparation
5. Onion – ½ kg (chopped fine)
Green chillies – 4, chopped
6. Coriander leaves – A handful
Curry leaves – 2 stalks
7. Water – 3 glasses
8. Coconut scrapped – ½ cup
Shallots – 5, chopped
Fennel powder – ½ small spoon
9. Rice flour – 2 glasses
10. Banana leaves – As required
How to prepare Meen Pathiri (Fish Pathiri)?
1. Marinate fish using ingredients no: 2 and deep fry it.
2. Smash the cooked fish to tiny pieces.
3. Fry ingredients no: 3 till it turns red and powder it using a grinder or mixer.
4. Heat oil and sauté onions and green chillies.
5. Add curry leaves and coriander leaves, sauté for a few minutes and add fried fish.
6. Also add fried coconut mixture, mix well and take off from flame.
7. Make a fine paste of ingredients no: 8.
8. Boil three cups of water and add gravy and salt needed.
9. Boil the contents well.
10. Add rice flour to it and mix well.
11. Put off the flame and close the pan with a tight lid.
12. When the contents cool off, mix it well using your hands.
13. Moist your hands, make small balls from the mixture and spread them similar to pathiri.
14. Continue the process till full pathiris are prepared.
15. Tear banana leaf to small bits.
16. Take each banana bit, place one pathiri followed by a little filling as second layer, and cover it using another pathiri.
17. Using moist hand, seal its edges well and wrap each piece with banana leaf pieces.
18. Steam cook your fish pathiri using a steamer.
Courtesy: Vanitha Magazine, August 1-14, 2010
You can read more Pathiri recipes here. Click on the images in the gallery to read.