Kanchan – Indian film actress of 1990s of ‘Sanam Bewafa’ and ‘Gandharvam’ fame
Kanchan is a film actress who worked in Bollywood and south Indian films in the 1990s. Though a few she played a few memorable lead and supporting roles in different languages during the period. Among her Bollywood films, her second lead in Salman Khan starrer Sanam Bewafa (1991) and female lead opposite Akshay Kumar in Amanat (1994) are her most memorable works, while Gandharvam (1993) opposite Mohanlal is her best work in Malayalam cinema. After working in Indian film industry in the first half of 1990s, she disappeared from screen.
Kanchan was born in 1970 in Mumbai. She appeared as a baby in some of the Bollywood movies of early 1970s. She also appeared as a child artist in 1977 film, Do Sholay. 1991 film, Sanam Bewafa marked her debut as an adult actress and the movie was a box office hit. It was one of the early hits of Salman Khan career. She played female/parallel lead in Amanat, Shabnam, Do Hanso Ka Joda, Paandav etc apart from supporting roles in Aulad Ke Dushman, Kranti Kshetra, Army, Jurmana, Itihaas, Coolie No.1 etc in the 1990s.
She gained immense popularity playing female lead opposite Mohanlal in romantic comedy, Gandharvam and it’s her most popular and successful role up-to-date. As she concentrated on to Bollywood and other south Indian languages such as Tamil and Telugu, she didn’t accept any more Malayalam films. However she had to satisfy only with character roles in the second half of 1990s, before she faded away. Now away from limelight, no one knows where she is right now.
Kanchan – Some interesting and less-known facts
1. She worked as a child artist in Bollywood in the 1970s, and Man Mandir (1971), Seema (1971) and Do Sholay (1977) are among those films.
2. She is one among those actresses who marked her Bollywood career opposite Salman Khan. Like many other debut heroines of Salman Khan, she also met with the same fate and couldn’t make it big in the industry.
3. Her film Amanat (1994) opposite Akshay Kumar also marked the screen debut of south Indian actress, Heera.
4. Among all Bollywood playback singers, voice of Anuradha Paudwal was used most.
5. She appeared in more than 25 films in different languages.
6. She is the first heroine of Tamil megastar Ajith Kumar. In fact the duo marked their Telugu debut with 1993 erotic film, Prema Pusthakam. The movie marked Ajith’s screen debut after which he fulled switched to Tamil films. Before that he has appeared only in a song sequence of 1990 Tamil film, En Veedu En Kanavar.
Popular film songs filmed on actress Kanchan
1. Maliniyude Theerangal from Gandharvam
2. Pranaya Vasantham from Gandharvam
3. Tujhse Milna Milkar Chalna from Amaanat
4. Din Me Kehti Hai from Amaanat
5. Deewangei Mere Dil Pe Ab from Shabnam
6. Chaha Tha Chaha Hai Chahte Rahenge from Shabnam
7. Gupchup Gupchup from Kasam Teri Kasam
8. Dil Mein Kuch Hone Lagaa from Army