Durga Krishna – Malayalam film actress of ‘Udal’ fame
Durga Krishna is a well-known actress who works in Mollywood. She made her debut in 2017 as Janaki in Pradeep M. Nair’s Vimaanam, where she was paired with Prithviraj, and her role got noticed. Later she was seen in Pretham 2, Kuttymama, Love Action Drama, Twenty-One Hours, Anuragam and garnered headlines for her bold avatar in Udal. The movie was a box office hit.
Durga Krishna – An accidental actress
She always dreamt to become a dancer, but landed as an actress to cine world. She accepted her maiden project Vimanam in 2017 only because she was starring opposite Prithviraj. After the success of the film, more roles came in and she turned a successful actress very soon. In fact she received her first film role at the age of 16 which she rejected, as she doesn’t want to become a part of cine world, and wanted more to concentrate on dance forms.
She was winding up a six-day pilgrimage to Mookambika, and on her return journey she received a call with the offer for Vimanam. Earlier she had won Miss Beautiful Face in the Miss Malabar Beauty Pageant, which helped her to bag the role without any recommendation. Durga Krishna is best known for Udal, and the movie bagged her J. C. Daniel Foundation Award.
About Durga Krishna’s personal life & Arjun
She met Arjun Raveendran in a workshop conducted by Vimanam, soon after she gave auditions. For Durga, it was love at first sight. First they became friends, then lovers and kept the relationship as secret for 3 years, told in social media in 2020 and finally got married in 2022.
Arjun was initially casted for the lead role for Sufiyum Sujathayum. He even learnt Sufi dance as a preparation for the role. But the whole cast changed, and to much disappointment to Arjun, he lost the role. He shed 10 kgs for a film role. But for many reasons, the movie didn’t happen, and later he produced ‘Confusions of a Cuckoo’ with Durga playing the lead role. Now fully concentrating on to film production, his upcoming project is ‘Madhuram Jeevamritha Bindhu’.
Durga Krishna – Some interesting and less-known facts
1. To study dance, she had to revolt with family, who finally granted her permission.
2. Though Vimanam is credited as Durga’s first film, she has appeared in a few scenes of the film, Lona, where she shared screen space with Indrans. Later they worked together in Udal.
3. She faced trolls and cyber-bullying over her performances in movies like ‘Udal‘ and ‘Kudukku 2025’, and with the support of her husband and family, she strongly faced it.
4. The script of both ‘Udal‘ and ‘Kudukku 2025’ were first read by Arjun, and he felt both roles can help her in career. He didn’t feel wrong for its intimate scenes.
5. For the intimate scenes, her co-stars, Dhyan Sreenivasan or Krishna Shanker have never been targeted the way she was, and she feels it’s because they are men.