Ingredients for Dates Varattiyathu:
- Dates cut into 4 pieces after removing seeds – 1 cup
- Tamarind – size of a gooseberry (made juice in 1 cup water)
- Chilli powder – 2 big spoons
- Tomato cut into small pieces – 1
- Onion cut into small pieces – 1
- Curry leaves – 1 stalk
- Sugar – 1 tsp
- Mustard – ½ tsp
- Garlic crushed – 1 tsp
- Water – 1 cup
- Salt – as needed
- Coconut oil – 1 big spoon
Method of preparation of Dates Varattiyathu:
- Heat oil in a pan and add mustard seeds. When it sputters add curry leaves and garlic.
- Saute for a few seconds and add onion and chilli powder.
- Add tamarind water, tomato, sugar, salt and 1 cup water. Mix it well.
- Add dates and cook well and water absorbed. If needed add extra water.
Read a few more dates recipes here. Click on the images in the gallery to read.