Ingredients for Aval Vilayichath:
1. Red aval (rice flakes) – ½ kg
2. Jaggery – 1.5 kg
Water – 2 litres
3. Coconut scrapped – 4
4. Cardamom powder – 1 small spoon
5. Ghee – ½ cup
6. Coconut pieces – 2 big spoons
7. Sesame seeds – 2 big spoons
Roasted Bengal gram split – ½ cup
How to prepare Aval Vilayichath?
1. Add water to jaggery and melt in a pan.
2. Then strain it to a small urli.
3. Add coconut scrapped, and continue boiling till it turns liquid like (not thread like, but breaking type). Put the flame off.
4. Allow it to cool for a while.
5. When it’s warm (not cooled completely), add rice flakes and cardamom powder.
6. Heat ghee in a pan, and fry coconut pieces.
7. When it turns brown, add sesame and split grams & fry for a few minutes.
8. Pour this hot mixture to rice flakes mixture and mix well.
9. Transfer your Aval Vilayichath to a plate and allow to cool. You can store it for 1 week without damage.
Courtesy: Vanitha Magazine October 1-14, 2010
Aval Vilayichath (Recipe 2)
Ingredients for Aval Vilayichath (Recipe 2):
1. Melted ghee – ¼ cup
2. Coconut pieces – ½ cup
Sesame seeds -1/2 cup
Roasted Split Gram (Pori Kadala) – 1 cup
3. Jaggery – 1.5 kg
Water – 3 cups
4. Coconut – 4, scrapped
5. Rice flakes (Aval) – ½ kg
6. Cardamom powdered – 2 small spoons
How to prepare Aval Vilayichath (Recipe 2)?
1. Heat ghee in a pan and fry ingredients no: 2. Keep it aside.
2. Add water to jaggery and boil it to prepare 6 cups of jaggery solution. Strain it and keep aside.
3. Heat an urli and add jaggery solution.
4. When it starts to boil, add scrapped coconut and reduce the flame. Keep stirring.
5. When water content is fully absorbed and solution turns strand like, put off the flame.
6. When it almost cools, add rice flakes and mix well.
7. Add fried ingredients no: 2 and cardamom powder too.
8. You can store it in dried containers, once your Aval Vilayichath is fully cooled off.
Courtesy: Vanitha Magazine October 1-14, 2022
Also read a few more rice flakes recipes. Visit my page.