Sudhir M. Parikh – US Based Indian physician and philanthropist
Sudhir M. Parikh is an American physician and philanthropist who was born in Gujarat. Known as an allergist and immunologist he specializes in treatment of Asthma and allergies, and has been practising in Highland Park, New Jersey for many decades. He also serves at many high profile hospitals of US apart from being an Assistant Professor at Robert Wood Johnson Medical School. Parikh is also a social worker known for funding many charity organizations apart from providing scholarships for Indo American community, for which he has been awarded with fourth civilian honour with Padma Shri in 2010 by government of India.
Sudhir M. Parikh moved to US for higher studies in the 1970s after completing his MBBS from B. J. Medical College, Ahmedabad. He began private practice in 1980. His association with social activities began in the 1990s, and still associated with the same. He founded Parikh Foundation in the 1990s, a founder member of the Indian American Republican Council and the founder chairman of Parikh Worldwide Media. He is responsible for bringing several American political leaders for the cause to strengthen Indian-US relationships, and has also tirelessly worked towards the fruition of India-US nuclear deal.
Sudhir M. Parikh – Some interesting and unknown facts
1. This NRI physician is a recipient of The Ellis Island Medal of Honor in 2005 – the highest civilian honour for US immigrants and Pravasi Bharatiya Samman in 2006 and many other honours.
2. He is a member and chairman of many advisory boards related to the fields of medicine and social service.
3. Parikh Worldwide Media publishes News India Times, Desi Talk in New York, Desi Talk in Chicago and The Indian American.
4. A very influential NRI, he accompanied US president Clinton during his Indian visit in year 2000.
5. He is associated with Share & Care Foundation, an NGO which helps the poor.
6. He has also helped in raising funds for Nargis Dutt Memorial Foundation, the American India Foundation and many more organizations.