Sajid–Wajid – The duo composers of Bollywood best known for association with Salman Khan
The siblings, Sajid Khan and Wajid Khan, professionally known as Sajid–Wajid was a well-known music composer duo of Bollywood since late 1990s. They started their film journey with Salman Khan’s Pyar Kiya To Darna Kya in 1998 where they composed the song, “Teri Jawani“, and since then composed countless singles apart from a few music albums for Salman Khan starrers. Their biggest break came in 1999 where they composed all the tracks of Sonu Nigam’s romantic album, Deewana, which played a magnificent role in establishing Sonu’s career as the romantic singer of Bollywood. The Jodi broke in 2020 after 22 years, when the younger brother Wajid Khan died of Covid-19 on June 1st, 2020 aged just 42.
Born into the family of musicians – Padma Shri Ustad Abdul Latif and Ustad Sharafat Ali Khan
Sajid Khan and Wajid Khan belong to a family with generations of music lineage associated with percussion instrument tabla. They are the grandsons of Padma Shri Ustad Abdul Latif and sons of Ustad Sharafat Ali Khan, and brothers too chose the field of music, though a different stream. Their father has worked as a music arranger in film industry under different music composers. Their grandfather was a sarangi artist. They are descendants of a musical family from Gwalior, Madhya Pradesh, and grew up in Saharanpur, Uttar Pradesh. Wajid was two years younger to brother Sajid Khan.
Salman Khan’s Pyar Kiya To Darna Kya in 1998 marked their Bollywood debut
The brothers joined film industry in year 1998, composing the single, “Teri Jawani“. After that they tuned some of the popular tunes of Salman Khan starrer, Hello Brother, which began their long-term association with Khan movies. The brothers delivered numerous chartbuster hits for Salman Khan films such as Dabangg series, Partner, Wanted, Jai Ho, Mujhse Shaadi Karoge, Garv, Tere Naam, Tumko Bhool Na Payenge, Shaadi Karke Phas Gaya, Hello, Hello Brother, God Tussi Great Ho, Jai Ho, Main Aur Mrs Khanna, Veer, Ek Tha Tiger etc. Mostly they composed tracks, and in some cases, full album.
The brothers composed numerous melodious tracks too
Though the brothers are best known for composing masala and peppy numbers, they composed some of the finest tracks for Hello Brother, Dabangg, Daawat-e-Ishq, Chori Chori, Tumko Bhool Na Payenge, Teri Meri Kahaani, Gunaah etc. Their melodious tracks for Kya Yehi Pyar Hai and pop album, Deewana are immensely popular. Chashme Buddoor, Ajab Gazabb Love, Heropanti, Main Tera Hero, Dolly Ki Doli, Tevar, Rowdy Rathore, Son of Sardar etc are a few more memorable works.
Sajid–Wajid – Some interesting and less-known facts
1. In association with Lalit Pandit of ‘Jatin-Lalit’ fame, Sajid–Wajid composed music for Dabangg in 2010. Throughout the respective careers of these three composers, it’s the single occasion when they bagged the prestigious Filmfare award for best music. The trio earned a string of awards for this chartbuster album in 2011.
2. The duo composers were often addressed as ‘Masters of masala filmy music’.
3. Sajid played minor roles on screen in Salman Khan’s blockbuster movies such as Wanted and Dabangg.
4. The duo composers occasionally turned seasonal lyricists, and have penned songs for Dabangg 2, Nishabd, Aag, Jai Ho, Daddy Cool etc.
5. They scored background music for half a dozen movies. 2007 movie Welcome was their first work and Pagalpanti released in 2019 was last one.
6. Salman Khan gave them the first break to Bollywood, and they continued their association for more than two decades for several projects. Hata Saawan Ki Ghata for Hello Brother is one of the early Salman Khan songs, for which composers turned lyricists.
7. Wajid was a playback singer too, though he is best known as a music composer. The solo qawwali, Tajdar-e-Haram for Satyameva Jayate was his last recorded song as a playback singer. He mostly sings his own peppy and masala compositions and till now recorded more than 50 songs in his voice since 2008 Salman movie, Partner.
8. Quite contradictory to their peppy numbers for movies, the duo composers tuned the melodious & soft tracks of a few hit Hindi albums – Sonu Nigam’s Deewana, Alka Yagnik’s Khoya Khoya Chand and Rahul Vaidya’s Tera Intezaar.
9. Sajid–Wajid’s composed album, Deewana (1999) played a magnificent role in Sonu Nigam’s career to establish him as the leading romantic voice of next decade. Wajid was just 21 then.
10. They played the role of mentors in reality shows – Sa Re Ga Ma Pa Singing Superstar and Sa Re Ga Ma Pa 2012.
11. They composed title tracks of Bigg Boss 4 and Bigg Boss 6 – TV shows hosted by Salman Khan.
12. Wajid Khan and actor Vivek Oberoi were in college together.
13. Eid Special single, Bhai Bhai featuring Salman Khan was their last release, just one week before Wajid’s death.
Sajid–Wajid – Top Bollywood chartbuster hits as composers
- Laal Dupatta from Mujhse Shaadi Karoge
- Rab Kare from Mujhse Shaadi Karoge
- Title track from Mujhse Shaadi Karoge
- Aaja Soniye from Mujhse Shaadi Karoge
- Teri Jawani from Pyar Kiya To Darna Kya
- Jalwa from Wanted
- Yeh Bekhudi Deewangi from Tumko Na Bhool Paayenge
- Kyon Khanke Teri Choodi from Tumko Na Bhool Paayenge
- Ek Ladki Mujhe Chahti Hai Magar from Shararat
- Kuch Tum Kaho from Shararat
- Mannat from Daawat-e-Ishq
- Dil Ki Nazar Mein from Kya Yehi Pyar Hai
- O Mahive from Kya Yehi Pyar Hai
- Meri Tarah Tum Bhi from Kya Yehi Pyar Hai
- Dil Pe Chaane Laga from Kya Yehi Pyar Hai
- Pehli Pehli Baar Hai from Kya Yehi Pyar Hai
- Chod Ke Na Jaa O Piya from Maa Tujhhe Salaam
- Hamne Tumko Dil Ye De Diya from Gunaah
- Kaisa Hai Yeh Deewangi from Gunaah
- Tune Saath Jo Mera Chhoda from Tere Naam
- Raat Bhar from Heropanti
- Hum Tumko Nigahon Mein from Garv – Pride & Honour
- Dum Mast Mast from Garv – Pride & Honour
- Soniye Ve from Kismat Konnection
- Mashallah from Ek Tha Tiger
- Bang Bang from Hello
- Hata Sawan Ki Ghata from Hello Brother
- Title track from Hello Brother
- Chupke Se Koi Aayega from Hello Brother
- Title track from Dabangg
- Sachi Sachi Teri Nazre (Chori Chori) from Dabangg
- Tere Mast Mast Do Nain from Dabangg
- Soni Di Nakre from Partner
- Do You Wanna Partner from Partner
- You’re My Love from Partner
- Dupatta Tera Nau Rang Da from Partner
- Aate Aate from Chori Chori
- Tu Mere Saamne from Chori Chori
- Kehna Hai Aaj Tujhse from Chori Chori
- Mehndi Na Mujhko Lagana from Chori Chori
- Yu Karke from Dabangg 3
- Habibi Ke Nain from Dabangg 3
- Teri Yaadon Mein from The Killer
- Chinta Ta Ta Chita Chita from Rowdy Rathore
- Chamak Challo Chel Chabeli from Rowdy Rathore
- Dhadang Dhadang from Rowdy Rathore
- Aa Re Pritam Pyare from Rowdy Rathore
- Chandaniya Lori Lori from Rowdy Rathore
- Surili Akhiyon Wale from Veer
- Title track from Welcome
- Aalam Guzarne Ko from Kal Kissne Dekha
- Tere Naina Maar Hi Daalenge from Jai Ho
- Right Now Now from Housefull 2
- Palat Tera Hero Idhar Hai from Main Tera Hero
- Besharmi Ki Height from Main Tera Hero
- Suno Ganpati Bappa Morya from Judwaa 2
- Chal Maar from Tutak Tutak Tutiya
- Fevicol Se from Dabangg 2
Sajid–Wajid – Top Hindi Album Songs
- Ab Mujhe Raat Din from Deewana
- Deewana Mein Hoon Deewana from Deewana
- Is Kadar Pyar Hai from Deewana
- Kuch Tum Socho from Deewana
- Ek Baar Tujhko Dekha from Deewana
- Kaun Hai Woh Ladki from Deewana
- Khoya Khoya Chand Rahta Hai from Khoya Khoya Chand
- Tera Intezaar from Tera Intezaar
Sajid–Wajid – Top Bollywood compositions of my choice
For the last two weeks I have been exclusively working on preparing a huge list of top chartbuster hits of past two decades since 2000, and I came across many melodious compositions of Sajid-Wajid. I completed a few list of songs yesterday only after two tedious working weeks, and today morning when I heard about the demise of Wajid Khan, I couldn’t believe it. Really a great shock!
If you love songs of album Deewana, you will definitely love their melodious and soft filmy tracks too. I strongly feel, though the composers were strong in melodies, they mostly composed fast tracks. Most of the songs listed below are enough to prove it; my favourites – Pehli Pehli Baar Hai, Dil Pe Chaana Lagaa Hai, O Mahi Ve and Dil Ki Nazar Mein from Kya Yehi Pyar Hai, Yeh Bekhudi from Tumko Na Bhool Payenge, Aate Aate Aa Gaye Paas Hum from Chori Chori, Mannat from Dawat-E-Ishq, Tere Naina Maar Hi Daalenge from Jai Ho, Tune Bhi (Chori Chori) & Tere Mast Mast Do Nain from Dabangg, Surili Akhiyon Wale from Veer, Ek Ladki Mujhe Chahti Hai Magar from Shararat, Hamne Tumko Dil Ye De Diya from Gunaah, Chupke Se Koi Aayega from Hello Brother, Raat Bhar from Heropanti, Soniye Ve from Kismat Konnection etc.