Ingredients for Pasty Upma:
1. Oil – ½ cup
2. Mustard – 1 small spoon
3. Black gram dal – 2 small spoons
4. Cashews broken into four pieces – 2 big spoons
5. Onions chopped fine – 1 cup
6. Ginger chopped fine – 1 small spoon
Green chillies chopped to round pieces – 1.5 big spoons
Curry leaves – 2 stalks
7. Semolina – 2 cups (not as heap)
8. Water – 6 cups
Salt – As required
9. Coriander leaves – To decorate
How to prepare Pasty Upma?
1. Heat oil in a pan and sputter mustard seeds.
2. Add urud dal and sauté again.
3. Add cashews and when they turn light brown, add chopped onions.
4. When onions turn tender add ginger, green chillies and curry leaves.
5. When all ingredients are sauted well, add rava and fry well.
6. At the same time, boil water in another pan adding sufficient salt.
7. When rava turns light red colour, add boiling water and stir the contents.
8. When contents start thickening reduce the flame.
9. When rava is cooked well, add coriander leaves. But the rava should not turn dry.
10. After sometime, Upma thickens and forms a single ball like structure.
11. You can serve upma from any side.
Courtesy: Vanitha Magazine November 15-30, 2018
You can also read a few more Rava main course dishes here: