Ingredients for Kalthappam:
1.Raw rice (Pachari) – 4 cups
Boiled rice – 1 cup
Water – 3.5 cups
Salt – A pinch
2.Jaggery – 1 kilogram
Water – 3 cups
3.Baking powder – 1 small spoon
4.Scrapped coconut (Thengaa Koth) – 1 handful
5.Shallots chopped – 1 handful
6.Oil – As required
How to prepare Kalthappam?
1. Soak rice for a few hours.
2. Mix together ingredients no: 1 and grind well to prepare the batter.
3. Prepare jaggery solution adding water and later strain it to remove impurities.
4. Add this solution to grinded rice mixture.
5. Add baking powder and mix the contents well.
6. In a pressure cooker, spread a little oil and sauté coconut and shallots.
7. Add half of the batter to pressure cooker.
8. Without putting the weight, cook in high flame for 3 minutes. Then reduce the flame and cook it for 30-45 minutes.
9. You can check it one or two times occasionally. You can check using a knife, if it’s cooked or not.
10. Take off the flame and allow it to cool. Flip it to take your Kalthappam from the cooker.
11. You can cut your Kalthappam into desired shapes and serve.
12. You can continue the process for remaining batter and onions.
Archive: Vanitha Magazine, March 1-14, 2010
Also read a few more rice flour sweets recipes. Here is the page link. Click on the images in the gallery to read.