Ghee Payasam (Ney Payasam)
Ingredients for Ghee Payasam (Ney Payasam):
1. Matta rice – 1 cup
2. Ghee – ½ cup
3. Salt – A pinch
Melted jaggery – 1.5 cups
4. Ghee – 1 big spoon
5. Scrapped coconut – ½ cup
6. Cardamom powder – ½ small spoon
7. Cashews – 2 big spoons
Raisins – 2 big spoons
8. Rasakadali banana (Jnaalipoovan) – 1, chopped
How to prepare Ghee Payasam (Ney Payasam)?
1. Heat a pan and fry rice.
2. Transfer rice to a pressure cooker, add sufficient water and cook till first whistle.
3. Heat a pan and add cooked rice along with ½ cup ghee.
4. Fry it for four minutes, followed by a pinch of salt and melted jaggery.
5. Mix the contents well and cook till payasams thickens.
6. Pour a big spoon of ghee in a pan and fry scrapped coconut till it turns light brown.
7. Add cardamom powder to it, mix it well and add to the payasam.
8. In the same pan heat some ghee and fry raisins and cashews.
9. Add this ghee to payasam and decorate with banana slices.
Courtesy: Vanitha Magazine April 1-14, 2019
Ney Payasam (Recipe 2)
Ingredients for Ney Payasam (Recipe 2):
1. Unakkalari (Payasam rice) – 1 cup
2. Water – 3 glasses
3. Jaggery – 250 gm
Water – 1.5 glass
4. Ghee – 4 big spoons
5. Coconut pieces – 3 big spoons
6. Cardamom – 5
Dry ginger – 1 small piece
Cumin seeds – A pinch
How to prepare Ney Payasam (Recipe 2)?
1. Wash rice, add sufficient water and cook it in urli or pressure cooker.
2. Melt jaggery adding water, and then strain it.
3. Add this jaggery solution to boiled rice and keep cooking till the content reduces to 1/3rd.
4. Add 1.5 big spoons of ghee and wait for some minutes.
5. Add 1.5 big spoons of ghee, and keep cooking till water content is fully absorbed and rice is almost fried.
6. Payasam should fall off from spatula, and a thin layer of ghee appear on surface. Keep cooking till payasam reaches this consistency.
7. Fry coconut pieces in remaining 1 big spoon of ghee, and add to ghee payasam.
8. Make a powder of ingredients no: 6 and add to ghee payasam.
9. Mix contents well and put off the flame.
Note: If Neypayasam is prepared for worship, usually cashews and raisins are not added. If you want, you can crush a big piece of sugar candy (kalkkandam) and add to your Neypayasam.
Courtesy: Vanitha Magazine October 1-14, 2022
Also read one more ghee payasam recipe published in Vishu edition of Vanitha 2020.
Also read a few more payasam and pradhaman recipes. Here is the page link. Click on the images in the gallery to read.