Ingredients for Chicken Shawarma:
For Pitta Bread:
1. Maida – 2 cups
Instant yeast – ½ small spoon
Sugar – 1 big spoon
Olive oil – 1.5 big spoons
Lukewarm water – As needed
2. White chickpeas – 1 cup, soaked in water for 8 hours & strained
3. Tahini – 2-3 big spoons
Garlic – 2-3 cloves, fried
Extra virgin olive oil – 3 big spoons
Ice – 5 cubes
Sea salt – As needed
For chicken filling:
4. Chicken – ½ kg, boneless
5. Oil – 1 big spoon
Lemon juice – From 1 lemon
Garlic – 2 or 3 chillies, crushed
Salt – For taste
Cumin powder – 1 small spoon
Coriander powder – 1 small spoon
Pepper powder – 1/2 small spoon
Turmeric powder – 1/2 small spoon
Kashmiri chilli powder – 1/4 small spoon
Cinnamon powder – 1/4 small spoon
For vegetable filling:
6. Onion sliced – 1
Lettuce chopped – A handful
Tomato – 1, sliced
Salad cucumber – 1, sliced
Beet root pickle – ¼ cup
How to prepare Chicken Shawarma?
1. Mix ingredients no: 1 and allow it to rest for 1 hour.
2. Sprinkle a little flour on a base and transfer maida to it.
3. Knead it to a prepare the dough. If needed add a little more flour.
4. Transfer the dough to a big bowl and apply a little oil on its surface.
5. Cover it with a moist cloth and allow it to rest in a warm place for 2 hours. Its volume will increase to double.
6. Punch it slowly and knead again.
7. Make small balls from this dough and allow it to rest for half hour more.
8. Spread them into thin round poori shapes and wrap in a cloth for 20-30 minutes.
9. Cook pita bread in a hot tawa without adding oil.
10. To prepare Hummus, pressure cook chickpeas adding water. Keep the stock aside.
11. Make a fine paste of ingredients no: 3 and chickpeas together. If needed add extra olive oil.
12. Transfer it to a plate and sprinkle your desired items like olive oil, parsley, sathar masala, pomegranate seeds etc.
13. Marinate chicken using ingredients no: 5 and grill it using a tawa. Slice it into thin pieces.
14. Place some chicken, hummus, vegetables & pickle inside a Pitta Bread, and wrap it tight.
15. Serve your chicken shawarma with French fries.
Courtesy: Vanitha Magazine, June 25 – July 8, 2022
Read a few more chicken snack recipes. Visit my page.