Mutta Surka and Mutton Curry
Ingredients for Mutta Surka (Egg Surka):
1. Parboiled rice (Puzhungalari) – 1 cup
2. Eggs – 2
3. Salt – For taste
4. Oil – For frying
How to prepare Mutta Surka (Egg Surka)?
1. Wash rice and soak it overnight.
2. Next day morning, grind it to a batter adding no or very less quantity of water.
3. After grinding it to a fine paste, add eggs and blend once for a second in the mixer.
4. Add salt and stir the batter well.
5. Heat oil and pour one big spoon of batter.
6. Deep fry your Surkas till both sides turn golden brown. Both sides should be fried well.
Note: When you pour batter in hot oil, it should rise up like a bubble or form bubbles on its surface before you flip the other side. You can serve it with any non-vegetarian curry of your choice.
Ingredients for Mutton Curry:
1. Mutton – ½ kg
2. Cashews – 25 gm
Coconut scrapped – 1 big spoon
Cloves – 2
Cinnamon – 1 piece
Cardamom – 2
3. Oil – 2 big spoons
4. Onions chopped – 2 cups
Curry leaves – 2 stalks
5. Garlic paste – 1 big spoon
Ginger paste – 1.5 small spoons
Green chillies – 4, chopped
Tomatoes chopped fine – ½ cup
Kashmiri chilli powder – 2 or 3 small spoons
Coriander powder – 1 big spoon
Pepper powder – ¼ small spoon
7. Water – ½ cup
8. Salt – For taste
9. Ghee – 1 small spoon
10. Coriander leaves – To decorate
How to prepare Mutton Curry?
1. Clean mutton and cut into pieces.
2. Mix together ingredients no: 2 and make a fine paste using a mixer.
3. Heat oil in a cooker and sauté onions and curry leaves.
4. When it turns golden brown, add ingredients no: 5 and sauté well.
5. Add ingredients no: 6, reduce to low flame and sauté again.
6. When raw smell goes out, add mutton, salt and water and mix well.
7. Close the cooker lid and cook in high flame till first whistle.
8. Reduce the flame and cook for 10 more minutes.
9. Put off the flame and allow the pressure to drop to zero.
10. Open the lid and add cashew paste.
11. Boil for 5 more minutes.
12. Add ghee and coriander leaves and put off the flame.
13. Serve hot with Surka.
Courtesy: Vanitha Magazine July 15-31, 2015
Also read a few more mutton curry and side dish recipes: