Chukkappam & Mutton Roast
Ingredients for Chukkappam & Mutton Roast:
1. Ghee – 1 small spoon
Shallots – 5, chopped to round pieces
2. Water – 1 cup
Salt – As needed
3. Pathiri powder – 1 cup
4. Egg – 1, beaten
Black cumin seeds – 1 small spoon
5. Oil – For frying
For Mutton Roast:
6. Mutton/Beef – 200 gm
7. Chilli powder – 2 small spoons
Fennel powder – 1 small spoon
Pepper powder – 1 small spoon
Turmeric powder – ¼ small spoon
Ginger-garlic paste – 2 small spoons
Salt and curry leaves – As required
8. Oil – For frying
How to prepare Chukkappam & Mutton Roast?
1. In a thick bottomed pan, add a small spoon ghee.
2. Add shallots and sauté it.
3. When colour changes to light brown, add salt and 1 cup water.
4. Allow the water to boil.
5. Add pathiri powder and stir continuously to avoid lumps.
6. Take off the flame and allow the batter to cool.
7. Add beaten egg and black cumin seeds, and mix well to prepare the batter.
8. Make small balls from them and spread to thick round shapes.
9. Deep fry in hot oil. Drain excess oil.
10. Clean the mutton/beef and cut into small square pieces.
11. Marinate the meat pieces using ingredients no: 7 and allow to rest for half an hour.
12. Deep fry in hot oil (you can use the remaining oil of chukkappam).
13. Mix with Chukkappam and serve hot.
Note: You can enhance the taste of Chukkappam by using coconut milk instead of water while preparing batter. Also, while frying meat, you can add coconut slices to make it delicious. You can use mutton or beef for the preparation, and also substitute it with boneless chicken.
Courtesy: Vanitha Magazine March 15-31, 2018
Read a few more Puris & Deep Fry main course recipes here. Click on the images in the gallery to read