Thulasi Kathir Payasam (Basil Seed Payasam)
Ingredients for Thulasi Kathir Payasam (Basil Seed Payasam):
1. Milk – 1 litre
2. Sugar – 250 gm
3. Sago – 100 gm
4. Basil seeds (Thulasi Kathir) – ¼ cup
5. Ghee – 20 gm
How to prepare Thulasi Kathir Payasam (Basil Seed Payasam)?
1. Boil half litre water in a thick bottomed pan.
2. Add ghee and milk and boil the contents.
3. Keep boiling till ¼ quantity of water content reduces.
4. Wash sago and add to boiling milk.
5. When it starts boiling, add basil leaves.
6. Keep stirring and cook the payasam till it thickens.
7. When sago is almost cooked, add sugar.
8. Allow the contents to boil well and put off the flame.
9. Use payasam after it cools off completely.
Note: This payasam gets the pleasant aroma and taste of basil leaves. You can use green seeds of basil plants to prepare this payasam.
Courtesy: Grahalakshmi Magazine, 2017 August 16-31