Squid Pappadam (Koonthal/Kanava Pappadam)
Ingredients for Squid Pappadam (Koonthal/Kanava Pappadam):
1. Squid cut into small pieces – 2 cups
2. Oil – 2 big spoons
3. Onions – 1 big, chopped
4. Ginger-garlic paste – 1 small spoon
5. Turmeric powder – ¼ small spoon
Chilli powder – 1/2 small spoon
Pepper powder – 1/2 small spoon
6. Salt – For taste
7. Coconut scrapped – ¾ cup
8. Curry leaves chopped fine – A little
9. Pappadam (Pappad) – 12, big
10. Oil – For frying
How to prepare Squid Pappadam (Koonthal/Kanava Pappadam)?
1. Heat 2 big spoons of oil in a pan and sauté onions.
2. Add ginger-garlic paste and sauté till its odour changes to pleasant aroma.
3. Add ingredients no: 5, followed by squids.
4. Add salt and cook squids with lid closed.
5. When squids are well cooked, add coconut, followed by chopped curry leaves.
6. Cook till water content is fully absorbed and squids turn dry.
7. Allow this squid gravy to cool.
8. Dip each pappad in cold water.
9. Place a little squid filling at the centre of the pappad, and roll it similar to meat roll.
10. Then fold both the sides inwards.
11. Heat oil and deep fry each stuffed pappad till golden brown.
Courtesy: Vanitha Magazine August 15-31, 2016
Read a few more interesting pappad/pappadam recipes here. Click on the images in the gallery to read.