Rasmalai (Recipe 2)
Ingredients for Rasmalai:
1. Milk -1 litre
2. Lemon juice – 2 big spoons
3. Water – 3 cups
Sugar – 2 cups
4. Fat milk – 1 litre
Saffron – 1 pinch
5. Sugar powdered – ½ cup
Almonds and pista – 3 each, sliced thin
Cardamom powder – ¼ small spoon
How to prepare Rasmalai?
1. Boil milk in a vessel.
2. When it boils well, bring flame to low and add lemon juice little by little.
3. Keep stirring the milk while adding the lemon juice.
4. When milk splits completely take the vessel off the flame.
5. Now filter it using a muslin cloth.
6. Place it under direct tap and wash it well.
7. Squeeze the cloth to drain off excess water.
8. Now hang the bundle in tap itself to drain off excess water.
9. After 45 minutes, spread the paneer to a flat plate and using hands, powder it well.
10. Press with a tissue paper to remove excess moisture content.
11. Now using hands, mix paneer taking extra pressure to make dough.
12. Divide paneer to 12 parts and make small balls from each one.
13. Press it once to get a cutlet shape.
14. Mix sugar and water in a pressure cooker and place it in flame with lid open.
15. When sugar solution boils well, add paneer balls to it and close it.
16. Allow it to cook in pressure. After 1 whistle, put the flame off.
17. When the contents get cooled, open the lid and transfer the contents to another vessel or container. It’s the rasagulla.
18. Place rasagullas in refrigerator and allow to chill.
19. Boil 1 litre fat milk, cook in low flame and allow it to thicken.
20. When milk is very much reduced in volume, add saffron.
21. Mix the ingredients well and allow it to cool.
22. Add ingredients no: 5 to it and mix well.
23. Take rasagulla from refrigerator, squeeze off excess sugar solution and now put in milk solution.
24. Again place your Rasmalai in refrigerator for a while and serve chilled.
Courtesy: Vanitha Magazine October 15-31, 2016
You can read a few more delicious milk/condensed milk sweet desserts . Click on the images in the gallery to read.