Ingredients for Pidi:
1. Coconut – 1, scrapped
2. Water – 7 cups
3. Salt – For taste
4. Cumin seeds – ½ small spoon
Garlic – 10 cloves
Shallots – 10
5. Rice flour roasted – 4 cups
6. Cumin seeds crushed – ¼ small spoon
Curry leaves – As required
How to prepare Pidi?
1. Add 1 cup water to scrapped coconut and extract 1st coconut milk.
2.In a vessel, boil 7 cups of water and add salt and fine paste of ingredients no: 4.
3. Keep aside 2 big spoons of rice flour aside.
4. Add the boiling water to remaining rice flour, mix well and prepare the batter.
5. Also add the coconut (left after taking coconut milk) and mix well.
6. Make small balls from this mixture.
7. In a plate spread some rice flour and place rice balls one after another.
8. In a urli, boil water and add rice balls to it. Water should fully immerse the balls (but not excess).
9. Cook it well adding ingredients no: 6.
10. Mix coconut milk with a little salt and one big spoon rice flour.
11. When Pidi is well cooked, add this coconut milk.
12. Heat it slowly and take off from flame.
13. Never insert a spoon to mix the pidi. Instead hold the urli from both sides and gently rotate it so that balls won’t break easily.
14. Allow the contents to cool off before you serve.
Courtesy: Vanitha Magazine March 15-31, 2018
Read a few more main course recipes here. Click on the images in the gallery to read